Where are my flaws? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where are my flaws?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Joneszen

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Cloquet, Minnesota

I pitched at 2:00 am. I am going to give it until at least tomorrow afternoon, if I see the wort moving around a little I may give it more time. Should I make a yeast starter with dry yeast in case I have to re-pitch

Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
signpost
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Berkley, Michigan
Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts

I brewed up a batch with an OG around 1.060 yesterday afternoon. Every other batch I've brewed before had noticeable fermentation activity within a few hours at the most. With this batch, I pitched the wort on top of part of a yeast cake left from a different batch. So, it's the first time I've done something out of my norm of using fresh yeast.

Last night I checked it and there was no activity at all. This morning I checked and still no activity. This afternoon I checked and still nothing. Then I posted something asking for advice. One person responded that I should wait, just as I expected. Then I went to look again, and there was krausen forming and the airlock was bubbling. It took about 22 hours for something noticeable to happen.

In other words, just RDWHAHB. The yeast will get working.
Fermenting - BBD Sour; Oat No! (an Oat Wine); Signpost Old Ale; Chris' Tall Ale 2.0; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western Bottled - NB Ares' Biere de Mars; Ol' Bitter Bastard; Chris' Tall Ale; 4 small batch sour blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches; Back To School Porter w/cacao & vanilla; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse Kegged - BBD WIPA (but I think it has chlorophenolics); Keg #2 is EMPTY!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Moorhead, MN
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Try using Ice water when you top up next time it will bring your wort temp down a good deal

Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszen View Post
I pitched at 2:00 am. I am going to give it until at least tomorrow afternoon, if I see the wort moving around a little I may give it more time. Should I make a yeast starter with dry yeast in case I have to re-pitch
Its not even close to time to worry about it, in my opinion. Sometimes doing nothing is the best practice and I think this is one of those times.

Ramitt Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7026 Times on 4160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Its not even close to time to worry about it, in my opinion. Sometimes doing nothing is the best practice and I think this is one of those times.
That there's some good advice.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
Joneszen

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Cloquet, Minnesota

Thanks to everyone for their input, I am going to wait a few days before I try to do anything drastic. I was hoping to have this batch finished and kegged for next weekend but it just might have to wait.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Joneszen

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Cloquet, Minnesota

Fermentation started today.....Yayyyyyyy! Still not that active but I am sure that it will pick up. Its at around 74 degrees sitting on the basement floor. Is this the ideal temp to start off at or should I place it in the ferm chamber which is currently set at 69-70 degrees?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Recipes 

May 2011
, MN
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I'd bring it to fermentation temps if you have signs of fermentation. That's not an expert opinion however.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Kingfish
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Atlanta
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszen View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input, I am going to wait a few days before I try to do anything drastic. I was hoping to have this batch finished and kegged for next weekend but it just might have to wait.
You are expecting one week from pitch to glass?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
AmandaK

Recipes 

Feb 2010
KCMO
Liked 143 Times on 106 Posts

Fermentation can take 48-72 HOURS to show signs of activity. I'd hate to point out the obvious, but there is a sticky on the Beginner's Forum for a reason.

That being said, bring it down to ferm temps and let it ride.