Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #41
spaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I screwed up the name but I've posted two reviews of this beer to my blog.

http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com.au...ack-lodge.html

Again. Hell of a beer.

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #42
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
Bottled this last night after 2 weeks in the primary and a week in the secondary. The final partially filled bottle was so good I drank it warm and flat... This could turn out to be a very good beer; more to come.

Pretty easy; only did a 45 minute boil:
Time - Additions
45min - 3lb sorghum, 3lb rice syrup, 1lb D-180 Dark Candi, 8oz Blackstrap Molasses, 5oz Dextrose, .5oz Cascade, .5oz Northern, 8oz maltodextrin, 1tsp gypsum
22min - .25oz Cascade, .25oz Northern
15min - 1tsp irish moss, 0.5tsp Yeast Nutrient
5min - .25oz Cascade, .25oz Northern

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.010
ABV - 5.9
IBU - 35
SRM - 27
Ok I just brewed my first batch of beer the other day. So sorry for the newb questions. My wife wanted a gf beer as my first smelled amazing as I put it in to ferment. Should be ready to bottle in a couple days. I used a kit for this, it is irish stout. I was wondering on this recipe do you just start out warming the water then just before boiling point is reached, and I assume this is a soft boil? Then just add the first list of ingredients? Also when fermenting why and how to determine if you should double ferment? if I understand correctly it's to mature the flavor of the beer? thanks for answering my questions.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #43
rlbois1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordthadicus View Post
Ok I just brewed my first batch of beer the other day. So sorry for the newb questions. My wife wanted a gf beer as my first smelled amazing as I put it in to ferment. Should be ready to bottle in a couple days. I used a kit for this, it is irish stout. I was wondering on this recipe do you just start out warming the water then just before boiling point is reached, and I assume this is a soft boil? Then just add the first list of ingredients? Also when fermenting why and how to determine if you should double ferment? if I understand correctly it's to mature the flavor of the beer? thanks for answering my questions.
For the Dual Spires, here's how my boil went:
- Bring 4-5 gallons of water to a boil (been doing 4 gallon boils lately, then topping off to 5 gallons in the primary)
- Remove from heat and add all 45 minute additions EXCEPT the hops
- Return to heat, stir it up, bring it back to a boil, then add 45 minute hop addition and start the clock
- Along with the 15 minute additions I also add the wort chiller to make double sure it is sanitized.

As for your question on utilizing a secondary fermenter, if you search this site you are likely to find much debate on whether it's "really" needed or not. As part of my brewing process, I always use a secondary fermenter after initial fermentation in the primary is complete. I do it to help further clear the beer and to get it out of the trub left in the bottom of the primary. While a must if you want to dry hop, add fruit, etc., from what I understand, a secondary fermenter is not otherwise a must.

If you don't have a wort chiller, I would recommend buying (or building) one before buying a secondary. Hope this helps.

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #44
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

Great thanks for that. I just made my own wort chiller, pretty ready to do, soft copper hose clamps, house bib adapter, clear tubing, BAM. Thats a great top on the chiller putting it in the pot last fifteen minutes to double insure it's sanitary. Won't it give an off taste though?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #45
max42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It's standard practice to put the immersion chiller in the boil kettle during the last 15 min.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #46
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

If you read my above comment you will see this is my first batch of beer, so nothing is standard yet

Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #47
max42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hope you didn't take my comment as negative. My comment was that its a standard practice and it had no bearing on whether its your 1st or not, just that you didn't know and I was trying to assure you that was the normal process. We all had questions like this at one point.

I feel like I'm starting over with the switch to GF brewing. Cheers :-)

Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #48
mtbskier
Recipes 

Bottled up a version of this last night...received the wrong hops ( no northern brewer) from an online order so subbed Columbus for the NB. Should still turn out good. I also dry hopped w 1 oz of cascade for 5 days....I'll report back in a month or so once it's ready.

how long before yours was drinkable? I am finding 1-2 months is when my beers start to get good

Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
wolves63
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just bottled today. Tasted initial after I bottled from a cracked bottle that would carb. Tasted pretty good. Strong blackstrap molasses flavor with hobs undertone. Had a bit of effervescence on the nose but hoping that will mellow with age. Excited about this one. I will post when it has conditioned.

OG 1.070
FG 1.020
ABV 6.55
On Tap - Hibiscus IPA
Aging -
Bottled - Barleywine, Mead

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #50
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max42 View Post
Hope you didn't take my comment as negative. My comment was that its a standard practice and it had no bearing on whether its your 1st or not, just that you didn't know and I was trying to assure you that was the normal process. We all had questions like this at one point.

I feel like I'm starting over with the switch to GF brewing. Cheers :-)
No I didn't. Just saying that my standard is still chaotic until I brew more is all.