Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
lactardjosh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You must be a Psych fan. That was a great episode.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
rlbois1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbskier View Post
Was this a 5 gal batch? If not how would you scale it up.

Also, do you think the hops could be increased to make a black ipa? Thoughts?
My recipe is for 5 gall and I assume Matt's is too.

And absolutely, my next batch will be a black IPA based on this recipe.

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
rlbois1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactardjosh View Post
You must be a Psych fan. That was a great episode.
You are the first person to catch the Psych reference (Dual Spires). And of course the "Black Lodge" was a nod to the original Twin Peaks series...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
rlbois1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthawes View Post
Thanks for this recipe, I am using it as the basis for my first GF beer. It is still in the primary right now. Here is my variation:

0min:
6lb White Sorghum Syrup
1lb Maltose Corn Syrup
1lb D-180 Candi Syrup
.5oz Cascade Hops
.5oz Northern Brewer Hops

30min:
.25oz Cascade Hops
.25oz Northern Brewer Hops

35min:
1cap Servomyces

40min:
.25oz Cascade Hops
.25oz Northern Brewer Hops

Safale US-05

Dry Hop 1oz Cascade Hops in secondary

Initial Gravity 1.055
Final Gravity 1.010

I am surprised at how good it tastes before dry hops, although very 'green'. Also it's very cloudy and I am wondering if I will need to do any fining.

Thanks again because I feel like this post gave me a really good idea on how to make my first GF beer something fun and enjoyable.
This has been one of my favorite batches so far; hope you enjoy it. As for the cloudiness, it should clear considerably in the secondary. Also, I always throw 1tsp of Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
matthawes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1
This has been one of my favorite batches so far; hope you enjoy it. As for the cloudiness, it should clear considerably in the secondary. Also, I always throw 1tsp of Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
Thanks! Next batch I may try to use more of your original ingredients. Mine is more brown than black, and the color of yours was really nice. What would you think about a little bit of coffee in the brew? I've been wanting to experiment with that.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
lactardjosh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
You are the first person to catch the Psych reference (Dual Spires). And of course the "Black Lodge" was a nod to the original Twin Peaks series...
I've never ventured into the GF forum, but I had to when I saw "Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale" as the most recent thread.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I brewed this tonight. Thinking about adding a little something extra in secondary. Any ideas? Espresso, bourbon,?? Can't wait to taste the result.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
matthawes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12
I brewed this tonight. Thinking about adding a little something extra in secondary. Any ideas? Espresso, bourbon,?? Can't wait to taste the result.
I just bottled mine. I had some warm and flat, it was good but I think I would prefer even more hop aroma. I also thought about adding coffee! It also has a bit of sweetness, so I was thinking that cold brewed coffee would be a nice addition. I am happy with the bitterness though, I would not want it more bitter.

Bitterness is hard for me to gauge right now though because my beer is brand new.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks Matt. I forgot to add my maltodextrin at boil so I added it to the fermenter. Doh! Think it should be okay though. If bitterness is good, maybe ill do a dry hop with .5 oz Cascade and add the espresso. Any thoughts on amount?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
matthawes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12
Thanks Matt. I forgot to add my maltodextrin at boil so I added it to the fermenter. Doh! Think it should be okay though. If bitterness is good, maybe ill do a dry hop with .5 oz Cascade and add the espresso. Any thoughts on amount?
I dry hopped with 1 ounce of cascade and I don't feel like the aroma is as strong as I would like... But I like it really strong. I'm thinking about letting my bottles carbonate, and then pouring some over a little bit of cold coffee just to see what it's going to taste like.