I'd like to share my first real fruit wine experience with you.
About 1 month ago I decided to make melon wine. Bought 90 kgs of melons for very cheap price. managed to extract about 45 liters of juice through a juicer. Added some water and sugar to bring alcohol levels to about a potential alcohol level of 16%. I put an correct amount of potassium metabisulfate to kill any unwanted yeast/bacteria in the solution which might have got in.. left it for 2 days covered into a fermenter bucket with some pulp in each. 2 days later added champagne yeast.
3 weeks later finished fermenting. by the end of fermentation the pulp which was floating, has sunk in the bottom.
i cleaned and sanitized 2 demijohns with air lockers and racked it onto two 25 liter demijohns.
in the meanwhile i was reading that i should have added campden tablets. after 4 days i decided to added the instructed amount of crushed campden tablets in fear of any oxygenation or contamination which might Have occurred during siphoning.
equipment has been sanitized in every stage
I would like have your views, comments and suggestions where i could improve.