Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Melon Wine

Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
satboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Melon Wine

hello all,

I'd like to share my first real fruit wine experience with you.

About 1 month ago I decided to make melon wine. Bought 90 kgs of melons for very cheap price. managed to extract about 45 liters of juice through a juicer. Added some water and sugar to bring alcohol levels to about a potential alcohol level of 16%. I put an correct amount of potassium metabisulfate to kill any unwanted yeast/bacteria in the solution which might have got in.. left it for 2 days covered into a fermenter bucket with some pulp in each. 2 days later added champagne yeast.

3 weeks later finished fermenting. by the end of fermentation the pulp which was floating, has sunk in the bottom.

i cleaned and sanitized 2 demijohns with air lockers and racked it onto two 25 liter demijohns.

in the meanwhile i was reading that i should have added campden tablets. after 4 days i decided to added the instructed amount of crushed campden tablets in fear of any oxygenation or contamination which might Have occurred during siphoning.

equipment has been sanitized in every stage

I would like have your views, comments and suggestions where i could improve.

thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

its probably fine but honestly 16% melon wine sounds like rocket fuel...i would have done something like 11 or 12 percent. next time when your sg goes below 1.000 and stays there for a couple days,, add campden.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made a melon mead which smelled amazing during fermentation. I backsweatened and after about 3 to 6 months I think I opened a bottle and it was really acidic tasting, no one was able to drink it apart from me. Coming up to a year its much nicer, even my parents were happy to finish their glasses, though still has an acid bite on the back end. I will probably wait a while again before opening any more. I only did a 5 litre batch.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
satboy
Recipes 

after how many weeks, after 1st racking, you think i should bottle it?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy
after how many weeks, after 1st racking, you think i should bottle it?
Wait until the wine clears. Plan on 2-3 months, unless you want to bulk age longer.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
satboy
Recipes 

A couple of days ago, i remembered i did this wine. Inserted a sterile tube and extracted some of the wine. Its turning out fabulous. I do not know how i can wait to bulk age.