National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > anyone tried this? sanke keg fermenter idea

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Default anyone tried this? sanke keg fermenter idea

I think Sabco makes them: Sanke Kegs that have Corny keg lids? But they are super expensive.

I like the idea of using a sanke keg as a fermenter, I do 10 gallon batches now and finding reasonably priced 15 gallon vessels to use as fermenters has been problematic.

What I don't like is the idea of trying to clean it out of that tiny hole in the sanke fitting top.

So has anyone tried DIY'ing a fermenter out of a sanke keg similiar to the sabco ones?

Seems that it wouldn't be too hard, trace the outline of a corny keg lid on the top of the sanke keeping in mind to make the actual hole like a 1/2" smaller, get out the jigsaw and cut the hole. May have to use a hammer to flatten out the edges maybe use two gaskets on the corny lid to get a good seal? But it seems pretty doable? Am I off the mark here?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/supe...onical-276378/

This is a good thread for a proper 15g fermenter.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
BigLuke
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use unaltered sanke kegs for my 10-12 gallon batches with a #11 stopper and an airlock with great success. Just build one of these to clean it: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ar4PrRLg3b1pTQ Works like a champ!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought about it too when I had a spare euro keg(13.5 gal) with the smooth top then changed my mind when I realized how heavy it would be full. I gigure it would need to be on some sort of stand to be able to rack off

Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
SamIam
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post

I like the idea of using a sanke keg as a fermenter, I do 10 gallon batches now and finding reasonably priced 15 gallon vessels to use as fermenters has been problematic.
Use a regular Sanke keg and one of these.

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

I know several people that use them and they work great. Just clean them with a DIY carboy washer and push the beer out with C02.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimshot View Post

I know several people that use them and they work great. Just clean them with a DIY carboy washer and push the beer out with C02.
Dang that kit alone is $80... You can get an entire 16 gal Speidel fermenter (when available) for $60.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/120..._-_60L_159_gal

I have one of the 8 gallons and it's nice.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
SamIam
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
Dang that kit alone is $80... You can get an entire 16 gal Speidel fermenter (when available) for $60
If cheap is what your after you can get three 6 gallon buckets for $24, I've done it like that for years. I don't want to get into a debate about plastic vs. stainless but obviously stainless is always going to be more expensive. Compared to other 10 gallon stainless fermenter options using a Sanke and the stainless kit is pretty inexpensive, especially if you already have a Sanke.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ferment 10 gallon batches in sanke's, I don't use a airlock, but the air in the fermentation freezer will extinguish a flame. It's the only time a use a secondary and I CO2 push into 6.5 better bottles, cold crash, and keg... work's for me
P.S. If your boiling 13 gallons of wort in a sanke, you better be there at 208 degrees F. Because a boil over isn't pretty

Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3328 Times on 3220 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've not had any problems cleaning my unmodified sankes. How are you cleaning them, and what issues are you having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimshot View Post

Those kits seem like a waste of money to me. I use sanke fermenters almost exclusively, and don't see any disadvantages to using my system, which costs a fraction of what one of those kits runs. I either use a drilled stopper with an airlock, or a spunding valve connected to a coupler for pressurized fermentation. I counterpressure transfer after fermentation using a slightly shortened sanke spear and a standard sanke coupler. From what I've seen and read on here, securing the temp probe to the outside of the fermenter and insulating it provides better temp control than using a thermowell, so the thermowell option doesn't appeal to me either.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Redcat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can also take the 5/6 gallon carboy cap(orange), put it in hot water, and then just place it over the top of the sanke bung.

You can then use any kind of hose you want, or airlock.