Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My Immersion chiller makes me sad

Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
TheZer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wouldn't this work? (edit: no it wouldn't. Not pulling heat out of system)

E out = E in
(Sp Ht wort)(mass wort)(dT wort) = (Sp Ht water)(mass water)(dT water)

Solve for mass water.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 84

• I first did Ice Bathes
  • Then Ice Bathes with Ice in the wort (boiled and then frozen in ziplock bags)
  • Then Wort Chiller
  • Now Wort Chiller with a pump to circulate the wort (and create the whirlpool) ALL_GRAIN

Each move I saw improvement and some of the changes were because I went to 5 gallon to 11 gallon batches.

Question: Who is Jamil?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME

Question: Who is Jamil?
Former home brewer gone pro (heretic brewing) who was either the first or one of the firsts folks who pioneered proper yeast count among home brewers. According to Morebeer, was also the first to recirculate wort while chilling with an IC and publish its benefits.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

So I ultimately am thinking I can squeeze a few minutes off my cooling time be seperating the coils slightly. While all of the wort moves a bit, its noticeable while staring at the wort where my chiller is by the flow of wort. What would be the best way to go about this? I would also like to permanently affix said chiller IN the brew kettle, so it'll have to be pretty well cleanable with a recirculation of pbw.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #35
Docgineer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZer View Post
Wouldn't this work? (edit: no it wouldn't. Not pulling heat out of system)

E out = E in
(Sp Ht wort)(mass wort)(dT wort) = (Sp Ht water)(mass water)(dT water)

Solve for mass water.
I never took heat transfer. That's the thermodynamic principle equation but dT is what gets you.

dT is going to be an integral across the cross section of the pipe and is going to factor in flow rate and a heat transfer coefficient.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #36
Docgineer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
So I ultimately am thinking I can squeeze a few minutes off my cooling time be seperating the coils slightly. While all of the wort moves a bit, its noticeable while staring at the wort where my chiller is by the flow of wort. What would be the best way to go about this? I would also like to permanently affix said chiller IN the brew kettle, so it'll have to be pretty well cleanable with a recirculation of pbw.
I would recommend against totally fixing it into the kettle. Maybe a clamp or something off the rim that holds it a bit off the bottom of the kettle for more flow...

As for separating the coils I have seen it done as follows: Use copper wire to entrap each coil in an X of wire where the tubing sits above and below it. You kind of cris-cross your way up the chiller. Also, soldering/wiring each loop to the stem of the chiller on the other side.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I agree with the copper wire to separate the coils, and stirring your wort by whatever means works best for you, it really does help.
As far as water speed....If I can cool 5 gal in 15 mins pushing 2 gallons a min. or the same 5 gal in 30 mins pushing 1 gallon a min, I'll take the quicker cooling time, water usage is the same.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Hmmm. I think I have some stainless wire i can weave. Or if I used copper could a solder all if the wire to the coil so there's no gaps for **** to hide? Probably over kill since its in the boil, but I like my stuff really clean, I just don't like spending time to clean it LOL

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Docgineer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

a

Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgineer View Post
a
I heartily concur with this sentiment!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)