This is what I'm making. http://www.homebrewers.com/product/1...toberfest.html
10-14 days first carboy. The fermentation has really slowed today. There was a 1 1/2 head on it yesterday and it was basically all gone this morning. The airlock is bubbling every 20 seconds instead of every second as yesterday as well. We brewed last Saturday.
1) When should I start take readings?
- Yeast are not on a time schedule Time is on your side, but lack of it is not. Patience is a key. Give them at least two weeks (minimum) to take your first reading.
2) How many do you normally take 1 a day?
- No. If the first reading you take meets the anticipated FG take another reading a few days later. If they are the same, fermentation is complete.. but it is not yet time to bottle.
3) Once its the same 2 days in a row I should start bottling?
- Not yet. After the yeast have eaten the fermentable sugars they are still hungry and will start eating the byproducts they produced in fermentation. They start cleaning up after themselves so to speak. This helps reduce off flavors.
4) How long in the bottles until I can finally drink this damn thing
- I keg so take this for what it's worth. The norm is 3 weeks at 70F. Higher gravity beers will take longer.
5) Should I put all the bottles in the fridge?
- Put a few in after the 3 week period. The longer you leave it there the more of the CO2 will dissolve into the beer. A pipeline brings patience.. again for the most part time is on your side. It's tough when you first start out.
6) How long does a homebrew last in a bottle?
- I don't know.
Sorry for all the questions. Again thank for the help!!![/QUOTE]
- Don't you worry about asking questions on this forum. We all started out in pretty much the same place. Sounds like you have done some research already just knowing the important questions to ask..