Trans-Atlantic Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
A few brew-days ago, I was left unexpectedly waiting on an order of hops after FedEx bungled up (apparently it got lost in the drop-off station), so I couldn't brew the recipe I had planned. Not to be deterred, I took stock of my available ingredients and threw together a "suicide" recipe that roughly came out like an ESB:

Sugars:
42 oz Lundberg Rice Syrup, at 60 min
1 lb D-45 Candi Syrup, at 60 min
8 oz Local Wildflower Honey (super dark and kinda grassy), at flameout
4 oz Dark Brown Sugar, at 60 min
2 oz Maltodextrin, at 60 min

1 oz Yunnan Black Tea, steeped for 30 seconds at 200 degrees, pre-boil

Hops:
0.75 oz Liberty--60 min
0.5 oz Nugget--15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo--5 min
0.5 oz Columbus--1 min
1 oz Palisades--1 min

Whirlfloc

S-33 Edme yeast

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.008
IBUs: 43.2

Fermented for 2 weeks, bottled last Thursday (at the same time I bottled mloster's "Hop-Bursted Pale"). Came out a touch drier than I expected, but after only 3 days in the bottle (I'm impatient!), it's GOOOD. Yeah, still young, needs another couple weeks, but wow. Nice buttery and bready flavors, totally British in a very nice way. A little tweaking, and I think I could get a very nice British bitter. Palm sugar instead of brown and in twice the quantity, more maltodextrin, more black tea and/or a longer steep.

Also, I've learned a lot about Palisades now. This is the 2nd beer I've brewed with them, and the first also included rose petals. Well, turns out what I took to be an overpowering rose flavor in that first one was actually coming a lot from the Palisades! I tell ya, these hops are over-the-top FLORAL. Not very hoppy at all, in fact. If I had used a different hop, this recipe would be really stellar, but I think this was the wrong style for this hop. A spicy hop like Saaz or Goldings would have been better, or maybe something tropically, like more Amarillo or maybe Citra. Sorachi Ace, maybe?

Worth noting is that this beer attenuated much more than the beer I brewed with Briess rice syrup. This could be the different yeast, the fact I added sugar, or the Lundberg rice syrup could be more fermentable, I can't be sure which.

Back