Wisdom - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Wisdom

Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2135 Times on 1410 Posts

I'm neither very old nor very young. Socially, I am neither a butterfly nor a wallflower. In almost every way, except for a rare species of insanity, I am drearily normal. For this reason, I think I am the PERFECT person to dole out advice when it comes to day to day matters that no one ever discussed in school. So, at age 32, I am sharing with you all... my dear fellow HBTers, a few simple platitudes and rules to live by. Had someone told ME these things, I would have saved myself a lot of embarrassment. You are very welcome.

- Never EVER hold a beer in one hand and a bottle for spitting dip juice in the other.

- Unless you are a police officer, it is NEVER appropriate to use the walkie-talkie function on a phone in public.

- On a mostly empty train or bus, choose a seat that is not directly adjacent to another passenger. Leaving an empty seat between you and them will make them more confident that they will finish their ride unmolested.

- Always offer your seat to a pregnant woman. Know, however, that there is a chance that she will not see that you have done so, and will be listening to her Ipod. You might have to stand there like a jackhole deciding if you should tap her shoulder and make her jump 30 feet in the air without bending her knees because you have startled her, or return to your seat. The best solution for this is to pretend you meant to stand anyway because you need to stretch your legs. Do a deep knee bend to drive this point home to anyone looking on.

- If a woman asks you to guess her age, offer to punch yourself in the crotch instead.

- Standing in a line is much different from being in a traffic jam. In a traffic jam, leave a car's length between you and the car in front of you to help alleviate gridlock. Standing in line, move forward at the moment the line does. In both cases, proper etiquette will reduce your chances of someone dragging you to the floor and beating you within an inch of your life out of frustration.

- Servers and bartenders have access to far too many bodily fluids, poisons and pollutants. Failing to say please and thank you is ill advised.

- Never identify yourself by those things you DO NOT do.

- Never answer a question with another question. I know you might not be here to "make friends" but I doubt you are here because you want to be reviled and hated.

- Keep extra buttons handy.

- If you walk into an eatery and you see an older woman wearing a shower cap and holding a slotted spoon, EAT THERE!!

- Beginning a tense customer service call with "hi (Cindy), before we start I know I sound angry, but I need you to know I'm not angry at you" will most often result in excellent service. Sometimes, it will result in free stuff.

- Cats owned by single women are seldom friendly.

- When shopping at a Bodega, the question to ask in Spanish is "are there any eggs?" NOT "do you have any eggs?" Trust me.

- When travelling in the Midwest, having a stranger smile and say hello to you is fairly common. Don't assume they are trying to sell you something.

- Feel free to hit your kids. Don't do it in public.

- Refer to all food products by their original names. It's fun to order Patagonian Toothfish at restaurants. After all, Chile doesnt actually have any sea bass. Also, should you be in the market for some quality canola oil at the supermarket, the 16 year stockperson will get a real thrill when you ask "pardon me, do you have any RAPE OIL!?"

- Pull off for gas or to pee at THIS exit. Not the next one, THIS one.

- This one goes out to the single ladies. Now that I am married and insulated from retaliation, I am going to unequivocally state that no man aged 16-99 has ever wanted to watch his girlfriend's home videos or look through her picture albums. Not one, not ever. Reserve this for punishment purposes only.

- For every problem you might be having, there are going to be people who are part of the problem and people who are part of the possible solution. Know the difference, and be sure to not treat the latter as you would the former.

- I take to heart something my father told me when Marty Jones made fun of me in elementary school. I'll never forget it. He sat me down and told me "James, no matter where you are or what you do, it's a fact of life that there will always be people out there who just don't like you. Its because you are really annoying."

And there you have it. Three decades worth of gathered wisdom.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts

- I take to heart something my father told me when Marty Jones made fun of me in elementary school. I'll never forget it. He sat me down and told me "James, no matter where you are or what you do, it's a fact of life that there will always be people out there who just don't like you. Its because you are really annoying."

simply awesome.....

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Chaddyb

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Minnesota
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bwahaha, good ones!
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2596 Times on 1434 Posts

Lmfao!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7047 Times on 4175 Posts

That is some funny stuff creamy. Funny funny.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
slatkin

Recipes 

Jun 2012
ward, arkansas
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well Creamy I have over 40 years of wisdom ( often not used well ) and I would like to congatulate you on being wise beyond your years. Would enjoy drinking with you young man.

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing
Old and OK is good enuff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2350 Times on 2257 Posts

Creamy, ive enjoyed many of your posts but i have enjoyed this far more than the rest. At 42 i couldnt agree more with your words of wisdom. I would however add the following:

Sometimes in life, no matter how nice you are to someone, they are still just an *******.

Thats about all i got!

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5022 Times on 3391 Posts

Wait, is your real name James too??

Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
HookUp
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Always offer your seat to a pregnant woman.
Nope. Never. Not any more.

I offered my seat to what I though was a pregnant woman once, and it turned out she wasn't pregnant - just fat. Boy did I hear that for the next 5 minutes until the next metro stop.

Old or handicapped, sure, but pregnant - unless it's obvious they are just about ready to give birth, yes, but other than that, learned my lesson.

My best advice is always aim to please - and when you're standing at the urinal, You aim too, please.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2135 Times on 1410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wait, is your real name James too??
Hehe, you too? I always said you were my evil twin.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!