Mr. Beer and Malt Liquor... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer and Malt Liquor...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #1
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14


hi. im pretty new to this whole brewing thing and this forum, so please bear with me

so i just purchased a mr. beer kit a few days ago, and decided to brew this recipe kit i got from their site:
http://store.mrbeer.com/defibbock.html



my question is, is it possible to brew a malt liquor or any high alcohol content beer using the kit and ingredients purchased from the site? if so, what do you reccomend/suggestions?

the one im currently brewing is supposed to reach 7% when its done, but itd like something with as much kick as a bottle of St. Ides, or more, like 8.2% - 10%+ (if possible)

id appreciate comments/suggestions. thanks
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Very few yeasts can live in an ABV over 7%. It is extremely unlikely your kit has one of those yeasts. To get to 10% ABV, you need a wine yeast or a distiller's yeast. To get higher ABV, you also need to increase the amount of fermentables. This can be done by adding malt powder (dry malt extract), liquid malt extract or sugar. Sugar will change the flavor and make a mess of most ales.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Ed_Savage
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
Portland, Oregon (Beervana)
Posts: 226

Wrap a paper bag around it and set it in a dark smelly alley. Toss it a couple quarters, it'll come around! When its done fermenting, find some cappable 40oz bottles. For the full experience, wrap them in a brown paper bags when it comes time to drink them.
__________________
~Ed Brew-Head~


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Ed_Savage
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
Portland, Oregon (Beervana)
Posts: 226

And now some info for the real Malt Liquor Conasuir.

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/
__________________
~Ed Brew-Head~

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,732
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts


stat quo,

Does the air lock work? Was it with the kit?

The reason I ask is the Mr. Beer keg I have does not have a sealing cap, it as two notches cut in the top of the thread to allow the co2 to expell.
It relies on the co2 blanket to protect the beer from oxygen.

I have a couple for doing half batches when my full size gear is in use.

I've also figure that instead of buying MR Beer kits (500g) At 10 + 5 shipping that use 1kg of sugar(included). I use a 7.99 malt extract kit 1.5kg and don't add any sugar. I reckon it's cheaper, easier and gives a better result.
__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
stat quo,

Does the air lock work? Was it with the kit?

The reason I ask is the Mr. Beer keg I have does not have a sealing cap, it as two notches cut in the top of the thread to allow the co2 to expell.
It relies on the co2 blanket to protect the beer from oxygen.

I have a couple for doing half batches when my full size gear is in use.

I've also figure that instead of buying MR Beer kits (500g) At 10 + 5 shipping that use 1kg of sugar(included). I use a 7.99 malt extract kit 1.5kg and don't add any sugar. I reckon it's cheaper, easier and gives a better result.

the airlock works fine. yes it came with the kit. how long ago did you buy yours? because it might be an older model or something...

Quote:
I've also figure that instead of buying MR Beer kits (500g) At 10 + 5 shipping that use 1kg of sugar(included). I use a 7.99 malt extract kit 1.5kg and don't add any sugar. I reckon it's cheaper, easier and gives a better result.
i might have to experiment around with that once i get more experience. sounds like a plan...


btw, how has the mr. beer kit working for you so far? reliable?
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Very few yeasts can live in an ABV over 7%. It is extremely unlikely your kit has one of those yeasts. To get to 10% ABV, you need a wine yeast or a distiller's yeast. To get higher ABV, you also need to increase the amount of fermentables. This can be done by adding malt powder (dry malt extract), liquid malt extract or sugar. Sugar will change the flavor and make a mess of most ales.
so distilling yeast, and double up on ingredients?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Savage
Wrap a paper bag around it and set it in a dark smelly alley. Toss it a couple quarters, it'll come around! When its done fermenting, find some cappable 40oz bottles. For the full experience, wrap them in a brown paper bags when it comes time to drink them.
good idea on the 40 bottles. hmm....
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Yep! A real skull-popper!
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14

by the way, what's a good sugar-alternative for this kind of thing? something thatll do the job better...
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Dry Malt Extract (DME) is the best choice, use it pound for pound to replace cane/beet sugar.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malt Liquor vs Beer agroff383 General Beer Discussion 26 02-20-2011 04:58 PM
ale vs malt liquor winzerz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-04-2008 03:31 PM
Malt Liquor debtman7 Commercial Brew Discussion 10 12-09-2006 02:09 AM
Malt Liquor Pimp Juice Recipes/Ingredients 20 01-23-2006 12:31 PM
what exactly is malt liquor? Walker General Beer Discussion 15 10-02-2005 01:23 AM


Forum Jump