Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Tripel with way to high fg

Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
BoilermakerBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Tripel with way to high fg

I brewed a belgian tripel 2.5 weeks ago and I transferred it to the secondary this past weekend. The og was 1.083 and now the fg is 1.034 which is way to high. It hasn't changed for 4 days. The recipe looks like this

11 lbs. Briess Pilsner Malt (65% of grain bill)
3 lbs. Briess Vienna Malt (20% of grain bill)
2.5 lbs. Invert Sugar (15% of grain bill)

I used WLP500 yeast as the lbhs didn't have any wlp510. I used a 1.25L starter with a stir plate. Fermentation took off within 4 hours of pitching and fermented like crazy. I didn't add the invert sugar until two days into fermentation to help the yeast get off to a running start. It continued to ferment for 3 days after I added the invert sugar.

It tastes pretty good for only being 2.5 weeks old but I'm concerned that the fg is very high. What should I do to knock this down? Create another starter? Rouse the yeast a little?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Rouse the yeast and increase fermentation temperature.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Yep- warm it up and give the yeast a swirl. What temperature did it ferment at, and what temp is it now? Mash temperature?

You should never transfer to secondary before fermentation has finished. That's the whole point of a secondary- there's no more sugar to eat so no more yeast are being made, so you move it over so the remaining yeast can drop out. If there's still sugar, the yeast are still reproducing.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Wow double post? What is up with the phpBB on this site?

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
BoilermakerBrewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Yep- warm it up and give the yeast a swirl. What temperature did it ferment at, and what temp is it now? Mash temperature?

You should never transfer to secondary before fermentation has finished. That's the whole point of a secondary- there's no more sugar to eat so no more yeast are being made, so you move it over so the remaining yeast can drop out. If there's still sugar, the yeast are still reproducing.
I fermented it in my basement around 73 degrees, I can move it upstairs which is at 75-76. It was mashed at 154 F

I always thought it was bad to keep the beer in the primary for too long of a time since trub will give it off flavors?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerBrewery

I fermented it in my basement around 73 degrees, I can move it upstairs which is at 75-76. It was mashed at 154 F

I always thought it was bad to keep the beer in the primary for too long of a time since trub will give it off flavors?
Myth busters should do an episode on this. It will be fine for months in primary.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Wow double post? What is up with the phpBB on this site?
I don't know, since the site runs vBulletin.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Myth busters should do an episode on this. It will be fine for months in primary.
Seriously. I feel like the main banner of the site should say this.

(Read in Ron Burgundy voice) Everyone! Don't transfer to a secondary before fermentation is finished! Check it with a hydrometer first!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I bet it restarts in secondary. I use the Westmalle yeast and it liked to work. My 2nd tripel was slowly munching away in secondary for 6 weeks (gravity was fairly low and stable after 4 weeks primary). Eventually worked down to 1.007 from 1.078. Tastes great after 7 months in the bottle.

If not, pitching an actively fermenting starter can also work. I did this with my RIS and it restarted in secondary for 3 weeks, dropping it another .007.
Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Umlaut my Kolsch
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine
On Deck: Dusseldorf Alt III, BGSA

Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
BoilermakerBrewery
Recipes 

Well I roused the yeast and brought the carboy upstairs but the gravity hasn't really changed. I'm going to make another starter and pitch the yeast to see where it takes me.