Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pacific Gem hops???

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
What was your hop schedule?
yes, do tell.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts

Horrible, horrible hop. The written descriptions make it sound enticing, but it's really an unpleasant hop. Yeah, it has some berry notes, but they're harsh. Not recommended.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

Although I have yet to try them, I have 4 oz waiting to be used. I appreciate your opinion, but my since everyone's palette is different I still am going to make something with them; I was thinking an English style pale ale with all late additions of Pacific Gem.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Of course you gotta try yourself, just thought I'd chime in as I HATE them. I think they're not appropriate for aroma or flavor additions but work fine for bittering. Anyway, have at it. Who knows, maybe you'll like them.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hop schedule was 0.5 oz. at each of 60, 13, 5, and 0 minutes.

Matt, maybe you got some nasty bad hops, or maybe they don't agree with Croatian water chemistry, because the beer I made with these was delicious. I have made 2 batches of this and it has been the favourite of my beer snob friends. Very clean, some toasted oak dryness notes to the bittering, subtle blackberry finish. I strongly recommend doing this with some vienna or pils malt as the fruitiness really accentuates the berry notes. I used Kolsch yeast too...

I dunno man, this is in my permanent rotation now and it disappears really quickly.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbram View Post

Matt, maybe you got some nasty bad hops, or maybe they don't agree with Croatian water chemistry, because the beer I made with these was delicious. I have made 2 batches of this and it has been the favourite of my beer snob friends. Very clean, some toasted oak dryness notes to the bittering, subtle blackberry finish. I strongly recommend doing this with some vienna or pils malt as the fruitiness really accentuates the berry notes. I used Kolsch yeast too...

I dunno man, this is in my permanent rotation now and it disappears really quickly.
Hmmm,I was going to brew a partial mash version of my sunset gold APA with pacific gem & one of the other NZ hops I have a pound of. I liked the idea of the oak & Berry together. I bought like 3oz each of some 5 varieties of NZ hops when midwest had'em on sale.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Hmmm,I was going to brew a partial mash version of my sunset gold APA with pacific gem & one of the other NZ hops I have a pound of. I liked the idea of the oak & Berry together. I bought like 3oz each of some 5 varieties of NZ hops when midwest had'em on sale.
Sounds tasty! I love me some NZ hops!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

So far the grain bill looks like;
2lb rahr 2-row
2lb marris otter (crisp)
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb carapils
3.3lb gold LME
Pacific gem & one othe NZ hop at 20 & 10 minutes. Gotta look at the profiles of the ones I have to figure which will go well with the pacific gem. I got an ounce of Saaz & US Fuggle that might be interesting for a smooth bittering.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbram View Post

I doubt it. If you Google around you'll see a fair amount of people complaining about these hops. I'm not even the only one in this thread. I adjusted the water, though I'd have to look it up. They worked great for bittering, but they had a really unpleasant pungent character.

Different strokes.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #20
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I like it as a bittering and accent hop for EIPAs, porters and stouts. I used it as a VERY light late addition in a mild and that worked as well.

I don't think that it would work well as a showcase hop, but if you've got the itch, might as well scratch it.