Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast cultivation on stir plate - FG affected?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
drakub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Yeast cultivation on stir plate - FG affected?

For the last few batches my buddy and I have been cultivating our yeast on a stir plate for about 18 to 24 hrs prior to pitching. Consequently, our beer has been finishing with a very low FG (there might be other reasons such as high temp, wrong yeast etc) but i wanted to make sure that yeast cultivation is not the sole reason for very low FG/dry beer.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakub View Post
For the last few batches my buddy and I have been cultivating our yeast on a stir plate for about 18 to 24 hrs prior to pitching. Consequently, our beer has been finishing with a very low FG (there might be other reasons such as high temp, wrong yeast etc) but i wanted to make sure that yeast cultivation is not the sole reason for very low FG/dry beer.

Thanks

It's not.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 78

It depends on a multitude of factors not just yeast. Are you overshooting your expected FG? I make a stir plate starter for every beer and have had zero issues. In fact since I started doing this years ago pretty much every beer hits its predicted FG. If you are finishing with a dry beer I would look at mash temps/recipe formulation before yeast pitching rates.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
drakub
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
It depends on a multitude of factors not just yeast. Are you overshooting your expected FG? I make a stir plate starter for every beer and have had zero issues. In fact since I started doing this years ago pretty much every beer hits its predicted FG. If you are finishing with a dry beer I would look at mash temps/recipe formulation before yeast pitching rates.
yeah.. there are some possible other issues that i am going to address with my next batch... one of them is the fermentation temp which is at about 72 another one might be the type of yeast that i have been using as well.

In the last few batches my FG was way lower then originally planned.

I guess i am just trying to eliminate all possible causes before my next batch and one them was the yeast started as it seems that since i have been doing the cultivation that is also when all of my batches finished with dry beer but a lot of ALC.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakub View Post
yeah.. there are some possible other issues that i am going to address with my next batch... one of them is the fermentation temp which is at about 72 another one might be the type of yeast that i have been using as well.

In the last few batches my FG was way lower then originally planned.

I guess i am just trying to eliminate all possible causes before my next batch and one them was the yeast started as it seems that since i have been doing the cultivation that is also when all of my batches finished with dry beer but a lot of ALC.
Fermentation temp shouldn't be it either. What was your yeast and recipe?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

What is "way lower than planned"?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Brandonovich
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Are you brewing all grain or extract? All grain, try mashing at a higher temp. Extract you are always going to have a different finishing gravity because you do not have the ability to choose mash temp.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
drakub
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
What is "way lower than planned"?
yeah... way low

planned at 1.020
tested at 1.007

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
drakub
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonovich View Post
Are you brewing all grain or extract? All grain, try mashing at a higher temp. Extract you are always going to have a different finishing gravity because you do not have the ability to choose mash temp.
This one was all grain plus 1lbs of dme... i will submit a recipe

Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

1020 is pretty high for most styles. In fact, I'd prefer 1007 to 1020 in most styles.