Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA dry hopping

Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Snookbeware
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default IPA dry hopping

I brewed an IPA the other day , "Arizona Bay IPA". OG 1.083 6lbs Briess light DME, 3.3 lbs Sparkling Amber LME, 1 lbs dextrose , steeped 1 lbs 2 row 60* lovibond and 1/2 lbs Muntons Crystal , hops 1 oz magnum 1 oz warrior60 min, 1 oz warrior 30min, 1 oz zythos 20 min, 1 oz summit 10 min. Was thinking of dry hopping after 1 week in secondary for 1 week with 1 oz of citra leaf. Should I add some of the precious hops in the dry hop or am I already over doing the hop additions? I want a drinkable beer, but it's supposed to be "End of the world" style. 5 gal batch. "LEARN TO SWIM!!!"

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1240 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1610

I am a hop junkie and your dry hop will be for aroma, not so much for flavor. I think all good IPA's need a dry hop. I can't comment on the Citra specifically since that is one I haven't used yet, but from what I know about it it sounds like a good one to use. I have an APA going right now that has 2.5oz of dry hops in it so with as big of a beer as you have going you could even add some more hops to your dry hop.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Snookbeware
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew
I am a hop junkie and your dry hop will be for aroma, not so much for flavor. I think all good IPA's need a dry hop. I can't comment on the Citra specifically since that is one I haven't used yet, but from what I know about it it sounds like a good one to use. I have an APA going right now that has 2.5oz of dry hops in it so with as big of a beer as you have going you could even add some more hops to your dry hop.
I LOVE!!!!! Citra hops! You really need to give it a whirl. I'm still a brew noob, but I'm working on it, this is only my 3rd partial mash brew, but have brewed 20 or more extract beers. Just didn't want to over do it. I was told by a dude at the home brew store to dry hop with all my wet additions, just wanted to see what y'all thought.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You definitely shouldn't dry hop with an ounce of Citra...

...you should clearly use 2 oz!! Or 1 oz Citra with one ounce of something else. But a 1.083 IPA can DEFINITELY stand up to 2 oz of dry hops.