Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Bottled to early

Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts

Default Bottled to early

About 3 months ago I made an Amarone kit. Everything went well. I stabilized it and waited 3 weeks longer than the instructions said before bottling. That was about 3 weeks ago. I had finally got labels so I was putting them on yesterday when I noticed that there is sediment in the bottles. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I pour them back into a carboy and let it clear longer? Or is it too late and I'm stuck with the way they are?

Thanks.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

how much is in them? if its just a tad i wouldnt worry but if its a lot then yea I would pour them back in with some metabisulphite....

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
bja
Recipes 

It's quite a lot. More than I want to see.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

IMO you should leave them alone and drink them as they are, the sediment should pack down as they chill and when you pour, just pour slowly to leave the sediment in the bottle. When you bottle next time use more care when racking to leave the trub behind

Pouring the beer back into a carboy will oxidize it and take all the carbonation away and then you would wind up with crappy, flat beer that would need to be re-carbonated and taste like A$$!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Pouring the beer back into a carboy will oxidize it and take all the carbonation away and then you would wind up with crappy, flat beer that would need to be re-carbonated and taste like A$$!
It's wine.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
It's wine.
Doh! Never mind then..............

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I would leave it and just pour slowly...

You are going to lose more wine in this process that you would if you carefully poured it out...

An it will be less work.

DPB

Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
bja
Recipes 

I'm also worried about any off flavors from being in contact with the sediment. An Amarone is a big wine and needs to age for at least a year, longer would be better.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would get rid of the sediment... First if it has dropped that much sediment in 3 weeks it will likely continue to drop some. I would uncork and pour into a bucket so that I could control the amount of splashing and reduce oxidization ( pour slowly). I would then rack into a carboy over the proper amount of metabisulfite, airlock and let set for a few months. I would not bottle until the wine doesn't drop any more sediment for 2 month, when the bottom of your carboy is sediment free it is time to bottle.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post
I would get rid of the sediment... First if it has dropped that much sediment in 3 weeks it will likely continue to drop some. I would uncork and pour into a bucket so that I could control the amount of splashing and reduce oxidization ( pour slowly). I would then rack into a carboy over the proper amount of metabisulfite, airlock and let set for a few months. I would not bottle until the wine doesn't drop any more sediment for 2 month, when the bottom of your carboy is sediment free it is time to bottle.
I think you're right. This is what I'll be doing. Thanks.