Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Wheat IPA Recipe - Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
bsn309
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat IPA Recipe - Any suggestions?

I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a Wheat IPA. I'm using some ingredients that I already have for a base Wheat beer but I want to try something different with a little hoppy character.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

8oz Carapils [in stock]
8oz Crystal 20 [in stock]
6lbs Wheat LME [in stock]

1oz Simcoe @ 60min
1oz Tettnang @ 30min [in stock]
1oz Hersbrucker @ 5min [in stock]
1oz Cascade @ 2min

WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast [in stock]

1oz Cascade in Secondary (Dry Hop 1-2 weeks)

I'm open to changing the addition times and even the hops. I'd like to use what I have in stock if possible. Thought the Crystal malt would add some sweetness to offset the bitterness from the hop addition, not sure if I should use all 8oz or less, or if I should use a different malt altogether. Thinking the Simcoe/Cascades could add some extra citrus notes (always good with Wheat) and raise the IBU's.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks all!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I've never brewed an IPA with 50% or more wheat. Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is about 50% wheat. They have a clone recipe for that beer on Jamil's "Can You Brew It" podcast.

For an extract version, I would use half Extra Light DME and half wheat DME and nix the carapils since it is already in extract. The crystal malt issue is more about preference. I prefer 0-5% myself in an IPA. I do however like to add sugar to my IPAs. Honey would be more fitting here at about 10-15%. I like the idea of Honey-wheat IPAs.

You don't need to bitter with Simcoe. I would bitter with my least favorite hop that I have on hand and make-up for the addition amounts as it pertains to aa%.

For a hop schedule, I like 1/2 oz at 60, 1/2 oz at 30, then 5-6 oz more hops split between 15, 10, 5, 0 and DH.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
bsn309
Recipes 

I was looking at some clones for Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and also Three Floyds Gumballhead. The latter looks closest to what I was thinking.

They're using some 2 Row, White Wheat, and Belgian Cara-20 with 5lbs Wheat DME. One person couldn't get the DME so they used 6lbs LME instead, so it could work for what I have in stock. They're also using Amarillo hops instead of Cascade or Simcoe.

Think I'll pickup the 2 Row, and 3-4 oz of Amarillo, and might stick with the Crystal 20 instead of the Belgian (don't want it overly sweet). I'll use the Tettnang and Hersbrucker @ 60/45, and then use the Amarillo for the rest of the schedule .50 oz @ 30, 15, 10, 0, DH.

I'm starting to think I might need to use a different yeast though. Not sure the WLP300 is right for this beer. Might go with the Safale-05 they're using for the GBH.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 72

That sounds good. Instead of 2-row, use some Extra Light DME. Skip the wheat since you're using wheat DME. I would say 3-5% total cara/crys 20 will do. Cara and crystal malts are the same thing. The only difference is the country of origin.

Or you could go the partial mash route with 2-row and wheat malt...though I would know what I'm doing before I start buying ingredients and winging a recipe.

I would personally use an English yeast for this beer.