Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow-to-no activity... Re-pitch? Wait it out?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Hellosluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 206
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Slow-to-no activity... Re-pitch? Wait it out?

Brewed the stout from this thread yesterday: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/feed...-stout-340227/ ... First time using a starter, which did about ~ 30 hours on the stir plate. Wyeast CA Lager 2112, 1 smack pack. Didn't settle out the yeast, just pitched the whole 1L of wort straight from the stir plate.

Woke up this morning expecting some activity as I've seen in previous no-starter pitches, and this is what I currently have at about ~11 hours after pitching. Having a bit of a "is my beer ruined?" moment.

Common HBT advice would be to wait it out, but I'm just curious how long I should wait before I consider re-pitching?


Click image for larger version

Name:	70144d1343653061-feedback-idea-christmas-fruitcake-stout-img_1041.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	70147  
Hellosluggo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brulosopher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,870
Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo
Brewed the stout from this thread yesterday: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/feed...-stout-340227/ ... First time using a starter, which did about ~ 30 hours on the stir plate. Wyeast CA Lager 2112, 1 smack pack. Didn't settle out the yeast, just pitched the whole 1L of wort straight from the stir plate.

Woke up this morning expecting some activity as I've seen in previous no-starter pitches, and this is what I currently have at about ~11 hours after pitching. Having a bit of a "is my beer ruined?" moment.

Common HBT advice would be to wait it out, but I'm just curious how long I should wait before I consider re-pitching?
48 hours, minimum. Lager yeasts can take a bit to really get going.


__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Hellosluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 206
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I understand the lager yeast issue... I know this it a very, very noob question to ask, but I can't resist: Do the "clusters" in the photo look like normal early activity? Like I said before, I'm used to pitching straight from the vial/packet and I usually see pretty vigorous activity early on. Having used a starter, I was hoping that the yeast was already going.
Hellosluggo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Hellosluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 206
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Here we are at ~36 hours in... It has about a .75" krausen, and no "explosive" activity—not sure if I should have even bothered with a blowoff hose, but it's in place. Definitely still seems slow. Temps are in the 66-or-so degree range.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see how it looks. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	70255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	70256  
Hellosluggo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 981
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo
Here we are at ~36 hours in... It has about a .75" krausen, and no "explosive" activity—not sure if I should have even bothered with a blowoff hose, but it's in place. Definitely still seems slow. Temps are in the 66-or-so degree range.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see how it looks. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
That looks like.....fermentation. Completely normal and I'll insert the mandatory RDWHAHB.
__________________
Kegged: Waldo Lake Amber, Notty as Helles, Vanilla Porter, Sweet Stout (nitro), NB Surly Furious Clone, Petite Saison D'ete, Le Seigle Belge Saison, BM Cream of 3 Crops, Edworts Apfelwein
Bottled: Nada!
In Process: Braggot
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld
makomachine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Posts: 420
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Dont worry! It look fine!! lager yeast does not ferment the same as ale yeast, i have found it much more docile then ale yeast.
By the way what yeast did you go for?
DannyD is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Maddoghoek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Kraussen=fermentation. Bask in the glory of the beasties, and drink beer to pass the time while you wait.
Maddoghoek is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 8,472
Liked 981 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default

That looks perfect. I would say to NOT take a gravity reading tonight. Why add the chance of infection. Wait until the krausen drops or when final gravity should be reached (min 7 day or better about 20 days) then check.

ALWAYS start with a blow off tube, why risk having to clean krausen off the ceiling?
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 981
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
That looks perfect. I would say to NOT take a gravity reading tonight. Why add the chance of infection. Wait until the krausen drops or when final gravity should be reached (min 7 day or better about 20 days) then check.

ALWAYS start with a blow off tube, why risk having to clean krausen off the ceiling?
Spoken like a man with some experience in the area! It is amazing what a mess it makes - blow off tube for every batch for me as well.
__________________
Kegged: Waldo Lake Amber, Notty as Helles, Vanilla Porter, Sweet Stout (nitro), NB Surly Furious Clone, Petite Saison D'ete, Le Seigle Belge Saison, BM Cream of 3 Crops, Edworts Apfelwein
Bottled: Nada!
In Process: Braggot
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld
makomachine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Hellosluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 206
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Thanks for the input, y'all! The yeast was Wyeast California Lager 2112. First time with a lager yeast, and first time with a starter so yeah, noob affliction. All my previous experience has been with ale yeasts, so I guess they like to get crazy right off the bat.

I'll put off taking a reading until the weekend at the earliest, just depending on how things look.

One minor question—there's absolutely no activity going on thru the blowoff into the bucket (as one would see with a regular airlock). Would this simply be because of the lager yeast and the extra headspace created by the 1" hose?


Hellosluggo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I wait or pitch? smbuckley Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-09-2012 06:15 AM
Pitch now or wait? Sippin37 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 05-26-2012 03:10 PM
Wait for a starter or pitch right away? iverasp Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-05-2012 12:03 AM
Very slow activity on the second day. bredstein Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 08-15-2011 02:10 PM
Pitch now or wait? blackbear219 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 31 08-10-2011 06:44 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS