Grade 8 washer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grade 8 washer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
metalpysko
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 275
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts



I have a washer that is a grade 8 metal and I was wondering would that do anything to my wort when boiling

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
bja
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,058
Liked 167 Times on 125 Posts


Probably rust, since it's made of steel.
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
SilverZero
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Bend, OR
Posts: 939
Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts


Grade 8 just refers to the strength (it's relatively high-strength, in fact). But I can't say for sure what the metal is. It may be just steel, it may be zinc-plated, etc. Probably best to just get an SS washer if you can.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
bja
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,058
Liked 167 Times on 125 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Grade 8 just refers to the strength (it's relatively high-strength, in fact). But I can't say for sure what the metal is. It may be just steel, it may be zinc-plated, etc. Probably best to just get an SS washer if you can.
If it's grade 8, it is steel, and could have any of a number of coatings.
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
SilverZero
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Bend, OR
Posts: 939
Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bja

If it's grade 8, it is steel, and could have any of a number of coatings.
Sorry, my wording was vague. I meant I couldn't say what the surface metal was.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Grade 8 is a steel washer with strength. It is not stainless steel so you do not want to use it in your beer, wort or anything else as it will rust. In brewing you only want to use stainless steel components unless it is an aluminum kettle which is fine.
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
SilverZero
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Bend, OR
Posts: 939
Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
In brewing you only want to use stainless steel components unless it is an aluminum kettle which is fine.
Or brass.

/trollin'

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
metalpysko
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 275
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


What about cast copper? And where would I find a 1in diameter stainless washer. Grade 8 was the only thing I could finding trying to use a big ball valve on my boil kettle if I can find anything that work in so screwed I have a 1 in hole drilled through a converted keg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by metalpysko
What about cast copper? And where would I find a 1in diameter stainless washer. Grade 8 was the only thing I could finding trying to use a big ball valve on my boil kettle if I can find anything that work in so screwed I have a 1 in hole drilled through a converted keg
A plumbing supply shop should have stainless washers that large
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
metalpysko
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 275
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


What about the cast copper

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump