Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ghetto cherry wine/apfelwein

Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
RevJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ghetto cherry wine/apfelwein

I'm new to wines (or making any kind of alcohol, for that matter) but I got bored and decided to make a gallon of hard cider that ended up being apfelwein.

I started with a gallon of pasteurized apple juice without preservatives and added 2 cups of sugar, pitched a packet of baker's yeast, and threw a balloon over the top of the bottle (the balloon had a hole in the top). I have no idea what the specific gravity was, and I have no idea what the alcohol content will be it's currently residing on a shelf in my room as I wait for the rest of the yeast to settle. When I first racked it, I tasted it. It's very, very dry. But it still tasted very apple-y.

That was the cider.

3 days ago, I found myself bored again and started a batch of cherry wine. I boiled 3.5 pounds of cherries in .75 gallons of water. I added 4 cups of sugar and topped it off with about 1/5 of a gallon of water. I pitched a packet of baker's yeast and topped the milk-jug-turned-fermentation-vessel with another balloon with a hole in the top. It's got a thick krausen on the top and the fermentation is starting to slow.

Here's hoping for some good wine.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
johnniesmith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well... Sounds like a sound operation thus far, keep on fellow clergyman. ;-)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
RevJ
Recipes 

I'm actually very surprised that the cider worked out so well