Duvel Clone - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Duvel Clone
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
ahhjdd
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Default Duvel Clone

Just brewed a Duvel clone. It kind of came out looking like dirty water. It tastes like sugar with hops so I am hoping it will do something. Just wondered if anyone else had ever brewed it. Oh well we will see if it tastes good might just have to drink it out of a red solo cup.


ahhjdd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
ahhjdd
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Before you ask. All grain followed the directions very closely.


ahhjdd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
stubbornman
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 545
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Please post the recipe and instructions you followed as well as your process (batch sparge?) etc.
__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
stubbornman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Esmitee
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 598
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

I did an AG batch of Duvel clone a little more than 4 months ago, I'm going to taste it for the 1st time this week end. I have been letting it age since then. I'm hoping for a kick ass batch.
It was hard to let it sit there, but the results MUST be worth it. As I kegged it, to me, it tasted pretty close to the taste of Duvel!

__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,375
Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmitee View Post
I did an AG batch of Duvel clone a little more than 4 months ago, I'm going to taste it for the 1st time this week end. I have been letting it age since then. I'm hoping for a kick ass batch.
It was hard to let it sit there, but the results MUST be worth it. As I kegged it, to me, it tasted pretty close to the taste of Duvel!

Just for future reference golden strongs/tripels don't benefit a whole lot from aging. In fact at a certain point they taste worse because IBUs fade.
__________________
Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth
rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

Duvel got IBUs?
iambeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Esmitee
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 598
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Just for future reference golden strongs/tripels don't benefit a whole lot from aging. In fact at a certain point they taste worse because IBUs fade.
Well the time I stated was really, from the time I dumped it in the carboy to ferment till now, Soo The info I got from the recipe said to let it age for awhile... So , I did LOL I will find out how good, or bad it tastes. I'll give a review after tasting.

BTW There are not very many hops in the recipe?
__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
iambeer
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmitee View Post
Well the time I stated was really, from the time I dumped it in the carboy to ferment till now, Soo The info I got from the recipe said to let it age for awhile... So , I did LOL I will find out how good, or bad it tastes. I'll give a review after tasting.

Many high alcohol beers can benefit from aging. Don't know about Duvel though. It's like beer that tastes like champagne. Sounds like the guy was referring to something where IBU is important, like an american beer.
iambeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
rexbanner
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 1,375
Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
Many high alcohol beers can benefit from aging. Don't know about Duvel though. It's like beer that tastes like champagne. Sounds like the guy was referring to something where IBU is important, like an american beer.
Tripels/golden strongs are high gravity but have little to no specialty malts. The flavor profile doesn't really change over time or benefit the way a barleywine would, which has a great deal of specialty malts. The only major change is that the IBUs go down, which may lead to the beer becoming unbalanced. At least that is what I have noticed drinking my tripels over a long period of time.
__________________
Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth
rexbanner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: , WI
Posts: 1,290
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm guessing the recipe is basically pilsner malt and a ton of sugar. I brewed something like this a little while back. It tastes like grainy sugar water when it goes into the fermenter. It smells terrible while its fermenting. If you do it right, it tastes dry and fruity when it comes out.


JJL is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Forum Jump