English IPA Jack The rIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
25L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
I find I much prefer the English-style IPA to the American style. I like the citrus flavour of the American hops on hot summer days, but when I just want a nice bitter IPA, I love the biscuity flavour of the English styles. For those who are not familiar, Carastan is just another name for crystal malt. The one I used was around 60L.

Edit: Since I've been asked; the name comes from the fact that I was watching 'From Hell' while I brewed this - seemed appropriate. :)

Code:
Jack the rIPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-A  India Pale Ale, English IPA

Min OG:  1.050   Max OG:  1.075
Min IBU:    40   Max IBU:    60
Min Clr:     8   Max Clr:    14  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          25.00    Wort Size (L):     25.00
Total Grain (kg):         5.68
Anticipated OG:          1.053    Plato:             13.22
Anticipated SRM:          10.0
Anticipated IBU:          62.5
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             70    Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops:         2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops:      10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 88.0     5.00 kg.  Maris Otter                   United Kingdom 1.038      3
  8.0     0.45 kg.  Carastan Malt                 Great Britian  1.035     60
  4.0     0.23 kg.  Victory Malt                  America        1.034     25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 30.00 g.     Galena                            Pellet  14.00  54.3  60 min.
 30.00 g.     Goldings - E.K.                   Pellet   4.75   6.2  20 min.
 20.00 g.     Goldings - E.K.                   Pellet   4.75   2.0  5 min.
 30.00 g.     Goldings - E.K.                   Pellet   4.75   0.0  Dry Hop

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.00 Unit(s)Irish Moss                     Fining    10 Min.(boil) 

Yeast
-----

Danstar  Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg:     5.68
Water Qts:   15.45 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L:     14.62 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.57 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153  Time:  60
Mash-out Rest Temp :           0  Time:   0
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  30

Total Mash Volume L: 18.42 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

All my other recipes have pictures, Jack was getting jealous. Sorry Jack.

5408-jack_the_ripa.jpg

El_Borracho said:
So if I'm learning right, this should be a 10% ABV beer?
Nope, nowhere hear that high. If you hit 1.065 and 1.010 you will get an ABV of about 7.3%.

You can use this quick formula (which basically amounts to using the last 2 digits of your OG and FG) for an approximation.

ABV = [(OG * 1000) - (FG * 1000)] / 7.5

Eg.)
= [(1.065 * 1000) - (1.010 * 1000)] / 7.5
= (65 - 10) / 7.5
= 55 / 7.5
= 7.3%

I've actually scaled this recipe back the last couple times I made it so it's about 5.5%. It tastes really good so I want to drink more, at 7.3% that's pretty rough going. :D

I decided to adjust the recipe to reflect my current brewing practices. I use Galena hops for the bittering addition (less expensive, fairly neutral, high alpha acid) and dropped the 40 minute addition.

I kind of mixed your grain bill with some torrified wheat and then hopped with all EKG. I didn't think about adding victory malt, until I looked at your recipe again. I think that is a great addition, and I just happened to have 12 ounces lying around. Thanks for the recipe- it was the inspiration for my English IPA.

I kind of mixed your grain bill with some torrified wheat and then hopped with all EKG. I didn't think about adding victory malt, until I looked at your recipe again. I think that is a great addition, and I just happened to have 12 ounces lying around. Thanks for the recipe- it was the inspiration for my English IPA.
Even with the maris otter, you will definitely be missing that biscuity/nutty flavour the victory gives you, I think you'll be glad you added it. :mug:

I've done this recipe a couple times first wort hopping with EKG (and all EKG after that) but that pushes the cost of the recipe into the stratosphere for me right now. :D

Even with the maris otter, you will definitely be missing that biscuity/nutty flavour the victory gives you, I think you'll be glad you added it. :mug:

I've done this recipe a couple times first wort hopping with EKG (and all EKG after that) but that pushes the cost of the recipe into the stratosphere for me right now. :D

But.....I HAVE 8 ounces of EKG, so I'm thrilled to use it. I am sparging now, so I'll FWH as well. Good idea!

After reading the name I was really hoping this would be a rye IPA.

If you are interested in a rye IPA, check out Brewtopia's Hoptrocity Rye in the recipe section

An English IPA is in my brewing future, I'll have to keep this recipe in mind.

What kind of hop additions would you suggest if cost wasnt an issue for just one "J.T.R." batch? (cant find Galena, should i go E.K.G. all the way?). Thanks.

This recipe is right in my wheelhouse, I use victory malt in all my extract bitters and now that I've morphed into AG I will be using it still, good to see it in some great AG recipes like this one. BTW, just fyi, EKG is 1.89 pellet or 1.99 whole at www.rebelbrewer.com ... not terrible...

I'm going to brew this within my next 5 batches... I'll stick to the recipe :)

:mug:

Yes, thats about the price if you are paying in Dollars. Things are a bit better for me cause i pay in Euro which has a better value vs UK pound (i will grab the hops from a UK shop among some other little things). I have actually scaled down the recipe to 18 liters for this time. But regardless all its really not so much a question of hops cost when a commercial IPA is almost impossible to find over here. (Damn those Amstel-Heineken drinkers, they have ruined the beer market!:D). (Did i mention i will most probably keep the keg all for myself?:ban: if i only hear the frase "gosh its.... bitter....havent you brewed something like an Amstel?" just one more time....:mad:

You can and I know a lot of people do. I usually only dryhop for 7-10 days, while I have no proof, I'm convinced I get more aroma than if I let it go the full 2 weeks. Take that for what it's worth though. :D

Back