Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > General brewing question?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
lewishowardm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default General brewing question?

So how long have you all been brewing, and what made you start brewing your own beer?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
TheOrphan
Recipes 

I brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. next week i'll be bottling it! Raise the roof! I just recently got out of the Navy and I was stationed in Washington so while i was up there i was introduced to great craft beers and breweries. Since then i've become an all around beer lover so when i got out i looked into it, and went for it to brew my first batch.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
lewishowardm3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrphan
I brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. next week i'll be bottling it! Raise the roof! I just recently got out of the Navy and I was stationed in Washington so while i was up there i was introduced to great craft beers and breweries. Since then i've become an all around beer lover so when i got out i looked into it, and went for it to brew my first batch.
Nice. I've only been brewing for a couple of months now and I got into it because my brother in law brews and he brought me a starter kit. I'm already getting into steeping grains and will be doing a partial mash BIAB style.

Good luck on future brews.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Been brewing since 2008. What got me started? Spending 50-60 buxs a week at the liquor store for 2 six packs and a 22oz. Or, spending 125 dollars on a sixtel of beer for my keggerator. My taste in beer started out stripping my wallet. So, I came across this website one night while researching some beer. All grain rig and six beers on tap later, here I am. Funny, the wife stills says I'm pushing the wallet thing....

Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

I originally bought a Beer Machine 2000 because brewing looked so hard! The beer pretty much sucked, though, so I didn't really get into it.

But then I starting making wine, and tried a real kit using my winemaking gear. I made a couple of batches. That might have been 2004? 2003?

I didn't really get going on beer, though, until my hockey teammate accidentally broke my leg and I was laid up for 18 months. I was bored, and I had more time, so I started seriously brewing then. That was in early 2006, I think.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 903 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 13

6 1/2 years and going strong...

I was watching Alton Brown's show, "Good Eats", and saw his homebrewing episode. I said "hey, I bet I'd really enjoy that hobby!" I was right.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Since early 2010. My father in law (who used to brew in the 80s-90s) got me started with a Cooper's canned kit on a whim. The beer wasn't all that good, but we made it. It didn't take long before we made beer that other people liked drinking, too

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
TheFlyingSparge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

5 years brewing. The basic brewing kit was a 30th birthday present from my friends. 12 months later I had built my own AG cooler setup along with a 4-tap kegerator. Great hobby.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

One of my buddies in the Army suggested I give it a try. I was hooked from the get go. That was in 2008 and I brewed extract for a couple years. Now I am all grain and I just got a new freezer for lagering, so that's pretty awesome. My first lager is bubbling away quite nicely as I type.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 163

I went to England for two weeks in 01 and had my first pub bitter, it was like nothing I'd ever had before.When I returned to the states, I imediatly started brewing.