Dirty Hippy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
3724 Belgian Saison
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ 85-90 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
Full body, mild roastiness, finishing with spicy fruity notes.
Dirty Hippy
Black Saison/Belgian Stout Ale
:fro:

Looking for a change from your standard stout? Love saisons but want a break from a lighter beer?

BREW THIS BEER! You will not regret it.

This is a SEVEN Gallon Batch. This is a SEVEN Gallon batch

Grains and fermentables
7 lbs Pilsner LME
2.5 lbs 6 row
1.5 lbs oatmeal
1 lbs invert sugar (50/50 brown and white inverted and darkened) with a 1TBS of vanilla extract
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs Belgian Special Chocolate
.25 lbs Dark Munich

OG: .062-.064
FG: .012-.008

Mini-Mash the grains for at least 60 minutes @ 150 F

NOTE: I am working on a stove top and therefore do a partial boil of 3.5 gallons. This decreases hop utilization. If you are going to do a full boil I would advise to rework the hops calculations.

Hops Additions
1 oz bravo @ 60 min
.5 American Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1 oz Sterling @ 30 min

I used theBrewer's Friend IBU calculator to calculate a total of 25.5 IBU.

Yeast
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison-1 Smack Pack. No starter used.

It is recomended that this yeast is pitched at ABOVE 80 F. You Want to keep these wonderful creatures hot or (from what I've been told) you will have to let them work for well over a month. Do this and they will give you awesomeness!

Bottled and primed with BROWN SUGAR.
Let condition for at least one month. After 4 months this beer is really something special.

I made this beer on whim. I was just going to do another standard pale ale and then I got the Idea to do this. I am SOOOO glad I did. I had tried Widmer's Black Sasion and was somewhat disappointed. It tasted like a black ale, nothing really said "sasion". So, I thought, I could make one that did.

This beer definitely needs to age to be appreciated. It really starts to taste awesome after about four months. It was ok when it was still green, but now well after four months in the bottles, this beer is fantastic.

Tasting Notes
I don't have lots of fancy beer lingo tasting notes, but I'll try to explain why this beer is so awesome. Thanks to all the oats the head on this beer is nice and thick, like thick hippy dreadlocks. It is not quite white and leans towards a tan. The smell is more sweet than roasty, but definitely has hints of spice. Kind of like that hippy chick you dated in high school or collage. The mouth feel is thick. The taste starts off malty with hints of roastieness and finishes with a spicy fruity character that does say "saison" or maybe "Dirty hippy", I'll let you be the judge.

If you brew this beer and like it please give the thread a rating. Thanks

JR

dirtyhippy.jpg

Mike Jordon, their brewer, is my source for most of my grains and hops. With beer on tap at home, I'm a shade cheap and lazy and don't patronize their pubs as much as I should. I do intend to get down there next Thursday as they will recognize IPA Day and pour several the same night.

. With beer on tap at home, I'm a shade cheap and lazy and don't patronize their pubs as much as I should.

No worries I'm the same way. I live in Beervana (Portland) and I tend to stay out of the local brew pubs.

Back