Have got some nice salami hanging in the shed at the moment which we made two weeks ago (keep in mind its the middle of winter down here at the moment). Anyway they all have a nice white mould growing on the surface that I'm taking to be a penicilun strain, very camembert like. Anyway a lot of the research I have done has said that it doesn't matter either way if you leave the mould to grow or you wipe it off. Now my little Portugeese mate who thinks he knows everything becuase he comes from a long line of great sailors (how hard was it to find North America? It's not as if there was anything else there)
Anyway he reckons you need to keep wiping the mould off with olive oil. Now my basic understanding of microbiology tells me that if the mould was going to be a problem then wiping it off with olive oil probably aint gonna make much difference. As far as I'm concerned its pretty much an asethetics issue.
Interested to hear the views of any salami makers out there.