American Wheat Beer Citrus Weizen - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Wheat Beer Citrus Weizen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
ETbury
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Posts: 1

Should the zest be in a brew bag or straight in????

Bottled: Oktoberfest
brewing: Citrus weizenbier



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ETbury
Should the zest be in a brew bag or straight in????

Bottled: Oktoberfest
brewing: Citrus weizenbier
I just dumped it right in. At the time I brewed this I was having to rack it to the bucket. But my gear has been upgraded now so if I was to do it again and I will be later this winter I will use a bag so that it does not plug anything up.

So it will depend on how your brew pot is set up and how you transfer.


__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
RoaringBrewer
 
RoaringBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 1,787
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Brewed my version of this citrus weizen today. Here is the BeerSmith recipe:

Recipe: American Citrus Weizen
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewery
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.3 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
0.33 oz Northern Brewer [11.40%] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
4.00 each Orange and Lemon Zest (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 16.7 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Pitched the rehydrated S-05 in 68' wort at 2PM EST. We'll see how long this takes to start and I'll let y'all know how it is when complete. Smelled good though!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
RoaringBrewer
 
RoaringBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 1,787
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Couple notes on my version. I put it in primary and let it go for 12 days... When I opened the fermenter it must have had one violent ferment! There was krausen to the lid of the 6.5g bucket and even on the end of the airlock!?

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I figured I'd go straight to the bottle with this since it is an unfiltered weizen. I primed it with 4.4oz of priming sugar and bottled - which reminded me why I need kegs SOON - aiming for 2.7 volumes CO2.

The beer bottled was very hazy/cloudy, but I can deal with that. Next time I will try some irish moss and some gelatin after the ferment completes I think though... or maybe a secondary, but not this time.

I tasted the last bottle b/c it was only 1/3 full. I know it had the priming solution in it, which sweetens it up a bit, but it tasted great. Very light in body/mouthfeel - understandable considering it was 5lb. DME, no steeped grains like crystal for body, and 1 lb. honey which lightens it even mroe. Should feel a little better on the tongue with carbonation though. Either way, it was VERY refreshing and just the perfect touch of citrus flavor at the back of the toungue. This would have been PERFECT when the 90 degree summer days were here.

Ah well, I'll drink it down in fall. This should be a great session wheat...

If i had to make any changes nex time it would be something to clear it a tad and maybe some sort of steeped 10L crystal or something, but I'll check back once its carbed b/c I'm not even sure thats necessary... Also, the next time I may go with .75 oz Cascade to end...

EDIT: Forgot to add, the beer started at 1.050 and ended at 1.010... Right around 5.2% ABV, 12IBU...
__________________
Roaring Bull Brewing Co.
Est. 2006
http://www.cafepress.com/roaringbull

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Couple notes on my version. I put it in primary and let it go for 12 days... When I opened the fermenter it must have had one violent ferment! There was krausen to the lid of the 6.5g bucket and even on the end of the airlock!?

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I figured I'd go straight to the bottle with this since it is an unfiltered weizen. I primed it with 4.4oz of priming sugar and bottled - which reminded me why I need kegs SOON - aiming for 2.7 volumes CO2.

The beer bottled was very hazy/cloudy, but I can deal with that. Next time I will try some irish moss and some gelatin after the ferment completes I think though... or maybe a secondary, but not this time.

I tasted the last bottle b/c it was only 1/3 full. I know it had the priming solution in it, which sweetens it up a bit, but it tasted great. Very light in body/mouthfeel - understandable considering it was 5lb. DME, no steeped grains like crystal for body, and 1 lb. honey which lightens it even mroe. Should feel a little better on the tongue with carbonation though. Either way, it was VERY refreshing and just the perfect touch of citrus flavor at the back of the toungue. This would have been PERFECT when the 90 degree summer days were here.

Ah well, I'll drink it down in fall. This should be a great session wheat...

If i had to make any changes nex time it would be something to clear it a tad and maybe some sort of steeped 10L crystal or something, but I'll check back once its carbed b/c I'm not even sure thats necessary... Also, the next time I may go with .75 oz Cascade to end...

EDIT: Forgot to add, the beer started at 1.050 and ended at 1.010... Right around 5.2% ABV, 12IBU...
Sounds great. Maybe next time steep a half pound of caripils for some more body. But I would not do anything to "clear" this beer. It's a weizen, it should be cloudy.
I only have like 4 or 5 of mine left and I had one last night. Still a great summer hot day wowing the lawn beer... Will make some more this winter so I have it for the summer.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 AM   #16
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


I only have two bottles of this stuff left now. I had 4 that I have been saving to see how it ages and I took two of them to a party two nights ago.
I have got to say... Let this age a good two months maybe three and the orange and lemon really comes thru GREAT.. I will have to work in a brew day this winter and do this up again so I have it for the summer. WOW...
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #17
tagz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 2,000
Liked 264 Times on 183 Posts


If I wanted to stick with lemon citrus notes and eliminate the orange, how many lemons would you suggest using? Go all eight? Stick with the four? Or split the difference with six? Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz
If I wanted to stick with lemon citrus notes and eliminate the orange, how many lemons would you suggest using? Go all eight? Stick with the four? Or split the difference with six? Thanks.
That would depend on how much lemon you want. 6 would not be bad but 8 may be to much.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #19
web250
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 78

Sounds like some orange peels might make a nice addition to my BB Weizen I plan on getting going later this week (once my damn pot comes)
__________________
Upcoming: None
Primary: Steam Beer
Conditioning: None
Drinking: Oktoberfest, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #20
Skunkyhops
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Spokane, WA
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Glad I stumbled across this recipe it sounds D-Lish. Im getting ready to brew it tonight, im using cascade hops instead of the halertau. Im also going to add probably a quarter ounce of hops at the end of the boil. Cant believe how simple this recipe is, this is my first weizen I cant wait!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr. Citrus's Citrusy Citrus IPA- Am I going overboard? KyleWolf Recipes/Ingredients 14 01-28-2016 09:04 PM
Citrus anteup Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 06-10-2012 05:58 PM
Hops for IPA... All citrus or mixture of citrus/pine kellzey Recipes/Ingredients 10 06-07-2012 01:26 AM
weizen temp question? 57degrees for weizen? nuclearguy General Techniques 32 03-27-2008 01:53 AM
Tap handle label - Citrus Weizen Plan9 Label Display & Discussion 2 03-18-2008 09:32 PM


Forum Jump