Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > CGI web programming help

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default CGI web programming help

I want to write a program where

-the user chooses to upload a file (I have this working)
-the CGI program slices and dices the file (this works)
-the website then presents the resulting file-chunks to the user as html links (I'm stumped on this)

The problem I have is that the webserver runs as user 'nobody'. The cgi-bin directory and programs in it are world-executable, but apparently the output from the cgi script when the webserver is executing it inherits the 'nobody' privileges so the CGI program can't write output anywhere. I can create a world-writable directory, but that seems like a Bad Idea. Now I'm thinking about creating a world-writable directory outside the web document root, then creating a world-readable directory inside the web root that links to the world-writable one, and putting links to that in my output.

What is the actual correct thing to do?