Recovering a Fermenter after infection. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recovering a Fermenter after infection.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Indian_villager
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Claymont, Delaware
Posts: 467
Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts



Hello folks. It has been a long while since I have posted but I had been brewing away.

Recently I had my first infections. Yes that is plural.

Bucket Fermenter:

A brew bucket that I have used multiple times before developed an infection. The beer in question is Austin Homebrew's Orange Creamsicle. I suspect that the bacterial strain is a lacto that consumed the 1lb of lactose that was in the beer. It doesn't taste bad.

But I am wondering if it is worth it to try and resanitize the bucket. If it is even possible. I will have no major issue throwing this bucket away if it is not possible.


6Gal Glass Carboy:

This is the one that kinda sickens me. I love this carboy, it is what I started with. I use it as a secondary. I had a strong beligan wheat IPA in there which I though was infected. But cleared up and tasted fine so I bottled it and am drinking it.

To be on the safe side I flushed the carboy through with water and bleach. Heavy on the bleach, rinsed with water, then sanitized again with Star San like I usually do. Now I have a blonde rye in there that is showing clear signs of infection. I have looked through every infection picture on this site and it looks bang on.

How can I go about saving this carboy. I really would not like to lose this one.


Thanks in advance,
Alex



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


The bucket I would just pitch and get a new one. The glass fermenter should be fine scrubbed, bleached and star-sanned. Are you sure you're not introducing it at some step on the way INTO the fermenter?


__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Pitch the bucket or save it for sour beers.

The carboy is not the source of any infection if it was cleaned and sanitized properly, I would look elsewhere in your process for introduction of infections.
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Indian_villager
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Claymont, Delaware
Posts: 467
Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts


I tought it was my racking lines. They have been bleached through as well. And the beers I have racked with after have not been infected. So I have gone through the deductive reasoning and am stuck on the Carboy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
phoenixs4r
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Posts: 1,515
Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts


Bleach bomb anything in question / rinse thoroughly. I'd probably ditch the bucket and get new lines if suspect, they are cheap enough.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian_villager View Post
I tought it was my racking lines. They have been bleached through as well. And the beers I have racked with after have not been infected. So I have gone through the deductive reasoning and am stuck on the Carboy.
Well nothing can live inside the glass (unless there is a crack, which you should check carefully for). If it is scrubbed well and bleached, everything is dead.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
rexbanner
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
DC
Posts: 1,381
Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts


If you had a lacto infection, you'd most likely know it by taste. It would taste sour. I use lacto as a primary strain for one of my beers, and here's a couple neat things about it. First, most strains are gram-positive, meaning that they have difficulty surviving in worts over 20 IBU. Second, some lacto strains look pretty much exactly like sacc when fermenting and form sediment pretty much identical. They can even produce alcohol and CO2. The lacto strain that I use looks like a weizen yeast when fermenting and is capable of blowing an airlock off. So it's difficult to identify a lacto infection by sight--what was it that made you believe you had one? The bottom line anyways is that lacto won't "infect" your equipment. That is, unlike brett it cannot really stick around and pop up later.

Your carboy will be fine as long as you scrub anything stuck to the sides off and sanitize it. If you want to be careful, pour some boiling water in there. People often overlook boiling water as a sanitizer. If there's anything that you ever worry bugs are hiding in, even a water bath of 160 degrees for a minute will kill them.
__________________
Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
phoenixs4r
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Posts: 1,515
Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts


Please don't pour boiling water in your carboy, that is just asking for a broken carboy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
bja
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,056
Liked 167 Times on 125 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
If you want to be careful, pour some boiling water in there.
I can't believe anyone would actually suggest this.
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
mpcluever
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
here
Posts: 635
Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
If you want to be careful, pour some boiling water in there. People often overlook boiling water as a sanitizer. If there's anything that you ever worry bugs are hiding in, even a water bath of 160 degrees for a minute will kill them.
DO NOT DO THIS!! First, it takes more than a minute of boiling to achieve sanitization. As soon as you pour a little boiling water in there, it immediately cools and isn't doing anything. The only thing you're doing is stressing the glass. That's it.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Infection StophJS Equipment/Sanitation 2 12-01-2011 03:42 PM
Reclaiming a plastic fermenter after infection permo Equipment/Sanitation 7 08-19-2011 05:37 PM
fermenter thru the dishwasher after infection ?? cadarnell Equipment/Sanitation 11 08-10-2011 08:55 PM
Possible infection??? ru41285 Equipment/Sanitation 4 10-24-2010 05:24 PM
Inductor Fermenter Infection ?'s p4ck37p1mp Equipment/Sanitation 4 04-22-2010 03:03 PM


Forum Jump