Partial Mash Yeast:
WLP400 Yeast Starter:
none Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
none Batch Size (Gallons):
5.0 Original Gravity:
1.047 Final Gravity:
23 Boiling Time (Minutes):
4 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
14 Tasting Notes:
Awesomeness in a bottle.
This was my first attempt at a partial mash, and I'm wondering why I waited to start. I dunno, I was intimidated by it, which seems silly now that I've done it.
Anywho, SWMBO asked for a Belgian Wit, and, well, she must be obeyed.
Grains and other malts
3 lbs. Belgian Pils
1 lb. American 2-row pale malt
8 oz. flaked oats
3 lbs light wheat DME
1 oz. Hallertaur 3.9% (60 mins)
1 oz. Tettnanger 3.9% (10 mins)
WLP400 (Belgian Wit) -- note: Had never used this yeast before and was not prepared for two things: the "interesting" smell and the vigorous fermentation. Had to stick a blow off tube on there on Day 2 or the whole thing was going to blow.
1 oz. bitter orange peel -- I used the dried stuff from my LHBS, but next time I think I'll use fresh zest
1 oz. toasted and crushed corriander seeds -- To bring out the real flavors in the corriander, you'll want to toast the seeds first. All you have to do is put them in a dry skillet (i.e. no oil, Pam, etc.) over medium heat. Keep lightly shaking the pan to avoid burning. When you start to smell the spices, they're done. To crush, I simply put them in a ziplock bag and used a rolling pin.
1) Partial mash the grains (see DeathBrewer's extremely helpful guide on how to do a PM
if you need help). I did mine at 151 degrees for 35 minutes before the wort was sweet, not starchy.
2) Bring wort to boil. Add 2 lbs. Wheat DME. Add 1 oz. Hallertaur hops. (60 mins)
3) Add 1 oz. Tettnanger hops and 1 lb. Wheat DME (10 mins.)
4) Add 1 oz. bitter Orange Peel and 1 oz. toasted/crushed Corriander (5 mins).
5) I don't have a wort chiller, so I used and ice bath to get the temperature down. I then pitched and fermented at 69 degrees for 2 weeks.
6) There was a lingering sulphur smell when I bottled it, but this went away after about 2 weeks of conditioning.
All in all, I thought it came out to be a delicious brew, and it's been perfect for the hot summer we're having here in NC (and everywhere else).
Two changes I would make: use fresh zest from Valencia oranges instead of the dried orange, and I would probably skip the addition of that final 1 lb. of wheat DME to get a lower OG since the ABV came out a little higher than I would want in the future.
I hope others enjoy it. Would also love to hear thoughts, feedbacks, and tweaks for future brews.