I need commercial beer ideas for a party.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
A friend of mine is having a baby shower and has put me in charge of the beer. There will be maybe 40 people...half of which will probably be drinking, half of which are likely BMC connoisseurs. I've been told that 4 cases should do the trick. I'm going to get 2 cases of a BMC product and two cases of good craft beer. I don't want anything over the top, so I'm thinking I'll get a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Its the remaining case I cant figure out.

Since its summer (and a baby shower for god sakes!) it needs to be somewhat light and quaffable. Some sort of summer ale? Should I get a case of an english pale ale and have american vs english pale ales? Or go with a lager? A pils perhaps? What would you do?

Well, I LOVE Sierra Nevada Pale Ale! But, if I was serving beer to mostly non-craft beer drinkers, I'd grab a case of Fat Tire, and a case of Bell's Oberon.

Even the biggest beersnobs won't hate on those two beers, but it's also macro-beer drinker friendly.

I would hate on both yooper...lol. More so the fat tire, oberon is pallatable. Snpa is a good choice for the masses. In your area Im sure sweetwater would be well received prolly 420 more so than the ipa. Maybe get a 6'er of something interesting from terrapin, moohoo is good.

Surprise them with a Saison or some farmhouse ales. You would be surpised what a gateway beer would be given the chance. A good wheat will work. Or just shock them doing shots of barley-wine or no? Honestly samples of a barleywine or good double ipa could open some doors.

Sam Adam's Boston Lager is my go to beer for such situations. I know some people don't like it and it's kind of uninspired (the choice of beer, not the beer itself), but if the shoe fits...

dgez said:
A friend of mine is having a baby shower and has put me in charge of the beer. There will be maybe 40 people...half of which will probably be drinking, half of which are likely BMC connoisseurs. I've been told that 4 cases should do the trick. I'm going to get 2 cases of a BMC product and two cases of good craft beer. I don't want anything over the top, so I'm thinking I'll get a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Its the remaining case I cant figure out.

Since its summer (and a baby shower for god sakes!) it needs to be somewhat light and quaffable. Some sort of summer ale? Should I get a case of an english pale ale and have american vs english pale ales? Or go with a lager? A pils perhaps? What would you do?

If sweetwater is in your area then Red Brick Blond and pale is usually liked by all. I also enjoy Terrapin a lot.

420 is a good idea, I may sub that for the Sierra Nevada...I dont want 2 american pale ales. I may just go local...Sweetwater 420 and Terrapin Golden Ale

If you are already offering BMC, I'd kick it up another notch, 420 and O'Dempsey's Big Red Ale. Big Red Ale is different enough to be interesting, but not as intimidating as Inushuk.

I may just go local...Sweetwater 420 and Terrapin Golden Ale

I like this idea best. I'm over in Athens, and Terrapin's Golden Ale agrees with every non-craft-beer-drinker I know. Sweetwater's 420 will keep everyone else happy.

My vote is SNPA, SN lager (Summerfest), Sam Adams Lager or Summer Wheat are completely acceptable. Bell's Oberon is a bit more interesting wheat but still accesible.

But I would avoid IPA, Saison, and any strong beer unless you want people to act like fools pretty quickly.

St. Pauli Girl
Beck's
Trumer (if you can get it out there)
Augustiner Edelstoff
Hacker-Pschorr Münchener Gold
Michelob

Be pragmatic.

Nobody mentioned Seirra Nevada Summerfest Lager. If you like their pale ale, odds are you'll like this. And I'd buy a little more than you think you'll need, better to have left over, more for you to enjoy later.

Why not go local and look for good summer beers? You can usually find lots of summer ales and lagers that won't be too far off BMC but flavorful enough for craft drinkers to still enjoy.

I wold recomend looking for a local craft brewed Lager of some sort since this will be closer to what the non craft beer drinkers want. While it is not a craft beer Negro Modello would be a good choice in my opinion.

Can you get Victory down there? Their Prima Pils is great and probably not overwhelming to a BMC drinker. Could end up being a good gateway beer into the world of craft.

I'd go:

6 pack of 420
6 pack of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
6 pack of Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager or Perhaps Purple HaZE (if you can still find it)
6 pack of Sweetwater Scwheat (if you can find it)

Latest posts

Back