Following Mr. Malty's pitching rates - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Following Mr. Malty's pitching rates

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
biochemedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Carnegie, PA
Posts: 2,153
Liked 222 Times on 167 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders
I was wondering that too. I use 6-gal BetterBottles but I've never marked the sides for volume - one more thing I need to do.
5 gal is just below where it starts to taper.
__________________
Packaged: 15 Minute APA, Simple Cyser '14 (Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped!), Spiced Cider, Spur of the Moment Graff
Primary: Simple Cyser '15
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider (2014 & 2015)
Planned: Fruitcake Old Ale, Not Just for Breakfast Stout. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
alexsaunders
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Aurora, CO
Posts: 13

@ biochemedic - thanks, that's where I usually fill to - good to know.

I've done dry yeast, just not the selection I'd like and I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). I certainly hear you on the potential cost benefits however.

Thanks again all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
SpeedYellow
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 1,423
Liked 171 Times on 145 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders View Post
... I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). ....
Then you're in luck, because you should start a starter 5-7 days before brewing. After it's done fermenting in a few days, just toss in the fridge to cold crash it and await your brew day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,443
Liked 3446 Times on 2463 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Then you're in luck, because you should start a starter 5-7 days before brewing. After it's done fermenting in a few days, just toss in the fridge to cold crash it and await your brew day.
I've heard differing techniques on this. One is to let the starter go through fully, cold crash, decant and pitch only the slurry, the other is to pitch the entire starter volume while its at high krausen. I do the latter.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,443
Liked 3446 Times on 2463 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders
@ biochemedic - thanks, that's where I usually fill to - good to know.

I've done dry yeast, just not the selection I'd like and I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). I certainly hear you on the potential cost benefits however.

Thanks again all.
Making a starter isn't the issue foe me, i almost always make starters. My issue is making a larger pitch out of multiple steps to build a very large cell count from a small initial amount of yeast. I'd rather just make one starter with more packs.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,902
Liked 1664 Times on 1363 Posts


Make your own stirplate. There are a lot of threads on this site. You should be able to make one for $20 or less. You can make most starters with one vial/pack.

Using a stirplate allows you to make smaller starters and they will be ready faster.

With a stirplate I make a small starter and let it ferment overnight and pitch the whole thing. With a larger one I do it 1 day ahead and chill it and decant the liquid.

Another way to save money is to freeze yeast. I use 20ml vials. 5ml yeast + 5ml Glycerin and 10ml water. I make a starter a little bigger than what I need then use the extra yeast to make 4 vials to freeze. If I made 4 more from each for 4 generations that would make 256 brews from the original vial for only the cost of DME for the starters.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
SpeedYellow
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 1,423
Liked 171 Times on 145 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I've heard differing techniques on this. One is to let the starter go through fully, cold crash, decant and pitch only the slurry, the other is to pitch the entire starter volume while its at high krausen. I do the latter.
Sure, nothing wrong with that. The OP expressed difficulty squeezing in brew time during the week, so I was merely giving him a way to keep the week open.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Cropping Pitching Rates michael.berta Fermentation & Yeast 3 03-08-2012 11:53 AM
Pitching rates? Tidwellc Fermentation & Yeast 8 02-28-2012 04:29 PM
Lager pitching rates....seriously? petep1980 Fermentation & Yeast 25 06-21-2010 06:18 PM
Conflicting Pitching Rates Cardog Fermentation & Yeast 1 04-07-2010 06:51 AM


Forum Jump