Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
solbes
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Posts: 2,975
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts


I certainly don't think a manned mission to Mars would have to be of the "suicide" variety. Granted it makes immensely more complex and expensive to provide a rocket with fuel to return home. But there is no reason, besides cost and time that this hurdle could not be overcome. Its basically a Moon Shot with higher fuel/supplies requirements. Our first trip to the Moon was 43 years ago when the memory of a graphing calculator took up an enormous room. You could probably run what all of Nasa's mainframes did on an IPad.
__________________
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

TzeentchPlayer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I certainly don't think a manned mission to Mars would have to be of the "suicide" variety. Granted it makes immensely more complex and expensive to provide a rocket with fuel to return home. But there is no reason, besides cost and time that this hurdle could not be overcome. Its basically a Moon Shot with higher fuel/supplies requirements. Our first trip to the Moon was 43 years ago when the memory of a graphing calculator took up an enormous room. You could probably run what all of Nasa's mainframes did on an IPad.
I agree. Thankfully much of this tech design is in the hands of the private sector where ingenuity is encouraged.

I heard one time that a Furby has more computing power than the entire set of Apollo missions. lol
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
landshark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Posts: 1,204
Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts


People still go into space? Whatever happened to the bottom of the oceans?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
If you want to know what weird is, ask yourself "Is this weird?" and if you just asked yourself that question it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Clifton
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Posts: 695
Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts


I think they're still down there.

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
mb82
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 706
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Ever watch this?: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Thankfully, here in Texas the high school students have to take 4yrs of science and one class can be Earth and Planetary Sciences. I hope to teach that class one day
I watch it all the time. I had 4 years of science and 5 classes of it in high school since I was a science dork even back then I took AP Bio and Environment science senior year. With the amount of multimedia in classrooms now I think it would be easier for kids to see NASA's work. About the only thing I remember NASA wise was watching a Space Shuttle launch in 1990( IIRC maybe '91) other then that we were taught nothing about space, and very little about the Earth in general.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
TxBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2004
Posts: 9,082
Liked 2228 Times on 790 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I certainly don't think a manned mission to Mars would have to be of the "suicide" variety. Granted it makes immensely more complex and expensive to provide a rocket with fuel to return home. But there is no reason, besides cost and time that this hurdle could not be overcome. Its basically a Moon Shot with higher fuel/supplies requirements. Our first trip to the Moon was 43 years ago when the memory of a graphing calculator took up an enormous room. You could probably run what all of Nasa's mainframes did on an IPad.
The issue ends up being that with current fuel sources you can't lift off with the load to get back.

I hope to be alive to see the first manned mars mission. Exciting times we live in.
__________________
#zappabeefheart2016

Register Now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
The issue ends up being that with current fuel sources you can't lift off with the load to get back.

I hope to be alive to see the first manned mars mission. Exciting times we live in.
So leave the return load in orbit around Mars. Lift then would just be the rocket and people and samples on board. Of course I make rocket science sound sooooo easy. lol
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
TxBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2004
Posts: 9,082
Liked 2228 Times on 790 Posts


Well you would have to get the return load up into space first. It would have to orbit Earth while everything else got up, then find a way to do the same on Mars.

I think the focus at this point should be alternate fuel sources. We're still basing out space program off of WW2 rocketry and it's time we advanced that.

Of course, alternative energy is, and will continue to be a hot button topic, but we all know why that is.
__________________
#zappabeefheart2016

Register Now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
Well you would have to get the return load up into space first. It would have to orbit Earth while everything else got up, then find a way to do the same on Mars.

I think the focus at this point should be alternate fuel sources. We're still basing out space program off of WW2 rocketry and it's time we advanced that.

Of course, alternative energy is, and will continue to be a hot button topic, but we all know why that is.
Agreed. Academically, the technology is available. It's getting people to change that makes it difficult
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i37n4umu/n544/cf12/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pcfff/tcfff/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatTime%20left%20to%20Event%20in/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2012-08-06T22:30:00" frameborder="0" width="175" height="66"></iframe>
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone else as not excited for tonight's game as i? NordeastBrewer77 General Chit Chat 56 02-07-2012 03:17 PM
Excited about the beers I just purchased nmcjudo General Chit Chat 2 12-09-2010 05:40 AM
I'm so excited!...... Laughing_Gnome_Invisible General Chit Chat 30 10-04-2008 03:58 AM
Anybody else excited for football? adrock General Chit Chat 31 06-26-2008 01:20 PM
Men/Mars...Women/Venus homebrewer_99 General Chit Chat 10 08-29-2007 09:36 PM


Forum Jump