Mock Lager update
I think I posted up something about this back when I first brewed it, but I tried making a mock lager back in February:
3 lbs sorghum extract (45 min)
2 lbs Honey (flameout)
1 lb 5oz Rice Syrup (45 min)
.5 lbs corn sugar (60 min)
4 oz maltodextrin (60 min)
1 oz US Hallertau (60)
1 oz US Hallertau (15)
I used Nottingham Ale yeast, and a cool ferment with 'bottle lagering'.
4 weeks fermenting in the high 50s, followed by several days cold crashing. This beer didn't clear up before I bottled it, and actually hasn't totally cleared up like most of my other brews. I'm thinking either the rice syrup or honey is at fault...
Anyway, after I bottled it, I gave the bottles 4 weeks to carbonate before I put them all in the minifridge.
I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and crisp this beer came out, and now that it is almost gone, I'm torn between using this same technique again or getting actual lager yeast!
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...