Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Should I bother trying to age a porter?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Han_Solo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I bother trying to age a porter?

I have read a few things about aging beer and they seem to go either one way or the other. I brewed some porter recently and was wondering if I should set a few aside for awhile. Anyone here ever age their beer after they brew it?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Some of my beers have tasted WAY better after aging for a few months while others haven't aged so well.

The 2 beers that I have made that have aged the best are a Pumpkin Ale and a porter. Both were ok at first but fantastic after some aging.

I can recall 2 of my beers that didn't age very well. One was a red rye and the other a milk cream stout which developed a metallic taste after 6 months.

Sorry for the ambiguous answer.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have yet to brew a beer where the last one out of the keg was the best one. Makes me think that I should age them all longer.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It depends on how long you are talking about aging. A porter should do well with a bit of age on it. The chocolate malts will help it resist oxidation, and the strong raosty flavors will meld together better over time. No need to let it go for more than a couple three months though I would think. Maybe six on the outside.

Is there a flavor component in your recent porter you are unhappy with?

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first brew was a robust honey porter and I had the last bottle about 13 months after brew day. It was fantastic!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 344

unlike IPAs, porters age very well. i like at least 8 weeks from brew day on average gravity porters, stouts, and browns. you wouldn't gain much if anything by long-term aging (9+ months) with standard gravity brews, that is reserved more for the imperials, etc

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I hide a bottle so I can taste it long after I had finished its brethren. My latest surprise was a 6-month old dunkelweizen that went clear.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

One of my short term goals is to get a porter set aside for winter. I already have the recipe, but it is third in line to be brewed. It is my experience that complex ales such as porter greatly improve with cold conditioning.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
unlike IPAs, porters age very well. i like at least 8 weeks from brew day on average gravity porters, stouts, and browns. you wouldn't gain much if anything by long-term aging (9+ months) with standard gravity brews, that is reserved more for the imperials, etc

+1 to this. Talking about aging is useless unless you are actually talking a specific time-point and a beer in question. Aging a porter for 6 months is not advised, but you want to go at least 6 months on a barleywine.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I have only brewed one porter, but I would say it peaked at around 2 months in the bottle. It really was pretty good right after bottle carbing though. The late cascade addition is starting to fade now. Its sitting at 4 months right now and I'm down to maybe 10 bottles left.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Ice Shanty Bock
Kegged
: Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??