Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it worth it?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
janitorjerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Is it worth it?

I've been considering buying some of the beers I can't find here locally (Hopslam, Two Hearted, Zombie Dust, Pliny, St. Lupulin, etc) online. I know a lot of people here have shipped homebrew with good results. So, my question is, is it worth it? Will I be tasting the beers the same way I would if I traveled for them or will they be a shadow of their former selves? I've seen some on eBay but without knowing if the beer is being stored or shipped properly it feels like more risk than its worth for the money they're asking. Is there a site people use for bottle trades? I appreciate any help in advance.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

This is just me, but I have considered ordering Pliny online, but decided that even if it was as fresh as possible, it would still taste wrong because I cheated. It takes all the fun out of the search.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I say, do whatever you can to get a hold of hard to find beer. However, if you do order online, check that they can ship to your state in the first place. It's not legal if you are in Texas.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/buyi...t_of_state.asp

Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you are OK with paying $20-$30 to ship a case of bottles, then it's worth it.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 511

I would say that it will taste the same as it would if you bought a bottle somewhere else (those bottles got shipped too.) A bottle rarely tastes as good as the beer being on tap, locally though.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Its a crap shoot as to the freshness of what you are buying, especially on ebay. I will however guarantee that purchasing hopslam anytime that is not spring will yield you a beer that is not fresh, and frankly not tasty(even fresh hopslam has disappointed me depending on the year).

If you are ok with the added expense, wait until fall to do this. Shipping wine and beer in the summer is not a recipe for success.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
janitorjerm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy View Post
If you are OK with paying $20-$30 to ship a case of bottles, then it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Its a crap shoot as to the freshness of what you are buying, especially on ebay. I will however guarantee that purchasing hopslam anytime that is not spring will yield you a beer that is not fresh, and frankly not tasty(even fresh hopslam has disappointed me depending on the year).

If you are ok with the added expense, wait until fall to do this. Shipping wine and beer in the summer is not a recipe for success.
These are the two biggest reasons I'm weary.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anyone with a full bladder and a bottle capper can send you a bottle of urine. On tap for me - leave the ebay/online shopping to other things. I took a trip to Cali and hit all the must sees - one of my most memorable vacations.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
janitorjerm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Anyone with a full bladder and a bottle capper can send you a bottle of urine. On tap for me - leave the ebay/online shopping to other things. I took a trip to Cali and hit all the must sees - one of my most memorable vacations.
This just made the top of my worry list.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitorjerm View Post
This just made the top of my worry list.
That's precisely why I would never buy a beer on Ebay. You don't know what you are getting and if you are cheated you have no recourse. I am actually surprised that some "enterprising" homebrewer isn't selling original bottles of Pliny with a homebrewed clone inside and trying to pass it off as the real deal.