Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Declan's Dragon Wheat - Like Gumballhead

Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
LoneWolfPR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default All-Grain - Declan's Dragon Wheat - Like Gumballhead

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: DCL US-05
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 12
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 34
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 at 68 degrees
Tasting Notes: Strong hop presence from the amarillo. Med-light body. Wheat malt is just noticeable.

Grain Bill:
12 # Rahr 2 row
10 # US Red Wheat
1 # CaraVienne
.5 # Rice Hulls

Hops:
.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA First Wort
.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 15 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 5 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 1 min
3 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA Dry-Hopped 7 days

Water Treatment:
Distilled water + 2 tsp gypsum in the boil

Single Step Infusion at 154 F

Fly Sparge to 14 gallons.

Boil for 60 minutes down to 12.5 gallons. Expect to lost .5 gal to wort shrinkage

Cool to 68 degrees and pitch.

After 7 days in primary add hops for dry-hopping. Let sit for another 5 days at 68. I then crashed it to 38 for two days just to let some things settle out a little. Keg and carb to your preference.

So when I first designed this recipe my pregnant wife was about to pop. She loves Gumballhead so I wanted to make something similar for her. I found a base recipe online here. I tweaked it only a little. One of my changes was to change the regular wheat malt to red wheat malt as I know that's what 3 Floyds uses. I also tweaked the hop additions a bit to be closer to the IBU's of gumballhead. I definitely focused on more late additions instead of early to get more flavor and aroma than bitterness. The recipe recommend the first wort hopping. I've never done it before so I figured I'd try it. I just took the first pull off the keg, and it turned out really well. I just need to get a sixer of Gumballhead for comparison.

Edit: The name came because we named our son Declan, and prior to the birth a friend had thrown a shower that was dragon themed because this is the Chinese zodiac year of the dragon.
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Last edited by LoneWolfPR; 07-23-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: explained the name.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfPR View Post
Grain Bill:
12 # Rahr 2 row
10 # US Red Wheat
1 # CaraVienne
.5 # Rice Hulls

Hops:
.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA First Wort
.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 15 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 5 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 1 min
3 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA Dry-Hopped 7 days

Water Treatment:
Distilled water + 2 tsp gypsum in the boil

Single Step Infusion at 154 F

Fly Sparge to 14 gallons.

Boil for 60 minutes down to 12.5 gallons. Expect to lost .5 gal to wort shrinkage

Cool to 68 degrees and pitch.

After 7 days in primary add hops for dry-hopping. Let sit for another 5 days at 68. I then crashed it to 38 for two days just to let some things settle out a little. Keg and carb to your preference.

So when I first designed this recipe my pregnant wife was about to pop. She loves Gumballhead so I wanted to make something similar for her. I found a base recipe online here. I tweaked it only a little. One of my changes was to change the regular wheat malt to red wheat malt as I know that's what 3 Floyds uses. I also tweaked the hop additions a bit to be closer to the IBU's of gumballhead. I definitely focused on more late additions instead of early to get more flavor and aroma than bitterness. The recipe recommend the first wort hopping. I've never done it before so I figured I'd try it. I just took the first pull off the keg, and it turned out really well. I just need to get a sixer of Gumballhead for comparison.

Edit: The name came because we named our son Declan, and prior to the birth a friend had thrown a shower that was dragon themed because this is the Chinese zodiac year of the dragon.
Going to resurrect an old thread and ask how this turned out. I'm brewing a very similar recipe on Sunday, except I'll be using s-04 as I know that their house strain is British. I've never used rice hulls, perhaps I'll need to give that a shot with so much wheat in here.

Gumballhead Clone:

Batch size: 12 gallons

10 lbs Red Wheat
10 lbs two row
2 lbs Caravienne

Hops: 11 oz Amarillo total

1 oz amarillo FWH
0.5 oz amarillo 60 min
1 oz amarillo 15 min
2.5 oz amarillo 5 min
2 oz amarillo 1 min
4 oz amarillo dry hop (2 oz in each fermenter)

Yeast: s-04. Ferment at 64

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes.

Mash water: 8.25 gallons at 165 (1 campden tablet and 18 mL of lactic acid)
Sparge water: 10 gallons at 185 (batch sparge until reach 13.5 gallons preboil) (1 campden tablet and 19 mL of lactic acid)