All Grain Yeast:
WLP530 Yeast Starter:
Yes Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
1300ml Batch Size (Gallons):
5.3 Original Gravity:
1.107 Final Gravity:
24.9 Boiling Time (Minutes):
25 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
4 days @ 63F Additional Fermentation:
Closet for 1 more week @ 70F Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
11 days @ 82F Tasting Notes:
Sweet prunes dipped in chocolate. Yeasty with fig syrup and dark fruits.
Also gettting that faint coriander spiciness just the right amount thereof. Some dark bread tones. Very complex and murky. More fitting for deep winter than a muggy and humid late July but just turn the A/C on and your there!
Probably my last exclusive extract recipe since I'm going to start BIAB but we'll see how in the future I could pull off the grain bill in a bag for this one . . .geewhiz
12 lbs Northern Brewer Pilsen LME
2 lbs Belgian Caramunich
1 lb. D-180
1 lb. Dextrose
8 oz. Briess Carapils
4 oz. English Chocolate
1 oz Stryrian Goldings 60 min
1 oz. Hallertau 30 Min
1 oz. Hallertau 5 Min
.4 oz. crushed coriander seed @ 15 Min
1 Whirflock tab @ 15Min
Please take note of difference in fermentation times. Primary for 4 days @ 63F. 1.5 weeks @ 82F. 1 week @ 70F. Secondary bright tank at 68F for 2 weeks. Does it taste like Westy 12? I have no clue since I never had one but porbably not since Westys are in lower FG's than 1.023. Even so early on this beer is awesome. I must say there may be something to drinking belgian's early. I read somewhere that drinking a Rochfort from the brewery was quite a different experience all together. The coriander seed really compliments the fruits and sweetness.
Collected 4 gallons of water to boil in an 8 gallon brew pot. One gallon of water for sparging and 1.5 gallons of water for steeping. I steeped the grains freely without a grain bag in 155 degree water for 30 minutes. The temp held with only dropping 2 degrees for that time due to the thick wort. I dumped these steeping grains into a colander over the brew pot and let drip for a few minutes. I sparged the grains slowly with the 170 degree water until it ran fairly clear. I began the boil with 6 lbs. of the pilsen lme. At 15mins. left I added the dextrose, D-180, and last 6 lbs. of pilsen lme. I used a rolling boil for the whole time. I collected 5.3 gallons of wort in 6.5 gallon carboy and aerated by shaking pretty good. 5/19 Pitched a 1300 ml starter into the 5.3 gallons of collected wort at 68 degrees. I started fermentation in my basement at an ambient 63 degrees. The blowoff from this yeast was ginormous after 24 hours. The temp had rose to 68 degrees and dropped to 64 degrees by 5/22 . Krausen had subsided. I brought the fermenter up to the attic where I let it rise to 73 degrees by 5/23 and the krausen began to rise up into the one inch blowoff tube again. Temp of the brew rose up to around 82 degrees for the next 1.5 weeks. On 6/2 Krausen had dropped a couple days ago. Moved to closet at 70 degrees with airlock at 76 degrees on fermometer for one more week. Gravity at 1.023. Secondary for 4 weeks in basement @ 68 F. Bottled on 7/7 with 7.5 oz. dextrose.