Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Warming undercarbonated beer

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Tiredboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Warming undercarbonated beer

I have a beer I chilled too soon and it's been in the fridge for a month or so. I'm wondering whether taking it out of the fridge and sitting it at room temperature for a period of time might reactivate the yeast and increase the carbonation but I'm concerned it might be detrimental to the beer. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredboy View Post
I have a beer I chilled too soon and it's been in the fridge for a month or so. I'm wondering whether taking it out of the fridge and sitting it at room temperature for a period of time might reactivate the yeast and increase the carbonation but I'm concerned it might be detrimental to the beer. Any suggestions?
Chances are the yeast will "re-activate." I guess it comes down to whether you prefer drinking undercarbonated beer, or potentially risking screwing something up. Personally, I'd warm it up and let it sit a few weeks at about 75F (if you can)... I really don't think the impact on flavor will be substantial at all, as long as you're not taking it up to 90F+

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wasn't sure what I could risk screwing up. I know that some beer that cools then warms then cools again can sometimes get a funky flavour but wasn't sure whether this would be an issue with bottle conditioned beer. Maybe I'll move a few to the warm for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.....

It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that apart from under carbonation it's an amazing brew!