Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First IPA recipe

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Nah, it won't cause any issues at 2 weeks. The gunk is normal. I strain, and I still get that junk in my beers for the most part. It's hop and yeast gunk, and krausen that has stuck to the sides.

Sounds like a normal healthy brew, just waiting to be dry hopped.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Also, forgot to mention, if you are dry hopping with whole cone, be warned that you will lose some beer from them soaking it up!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
EA18Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well I tasted it after about 4 days while taking a gravity reading. The gravity said 1.011 which kind of surprised me. It was already something like 7%. It tasted completely foul. Ridiculously bitter and alcoholic. I would say it was ruined by the hop schedule, or even contaminated. Looks like I will be re-doing this one with a completely different hop schedule. Beer calculus put my IBUs at 124!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA18Brewer
Well I tasted it after about 4 days while taking a gravity reading. The gravity said 1.011 which kind of surprised me. It was already something like 7%. It tasted completely foul. Ridiculously bitter and alcoholic. I would say it was ruined by the hop schedule, or even contaminated. Looks like I will be re-doing this one with a completely different hop schedule. Beer calculus put my IBUs at 124!
Ohhhhhh, give it some time!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
EA18Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Ohhhhhh, give it some time!!!!!!
I am not one for denial. I tossed the whole thing. We live and we learn. I am changing up the hop schedule that will yield around 70ibu. Should be a little more up my alley.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think you were way to hasty. Dumping a batch of beer is rarely the right choice. Especially 4 days into fermentation.

Should have let it age. You don't know how it would have tasted after being in the bottle a while. The beer tastes completely different after sitting for a while. The alcohol taste would probably have mellowed.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA18Brewer View Post
I am not one for denial. I tossed the whole thing. We live and we learn. I am changing up the hop schedule that will yield around 70ibu. Should be a little more up my alley.
A sad, sad thing, my friend. I'm certainly not one to speak, but in this game, patience is certainly a virtue. I'm willing to bet that beer would have turned out absolutely fine had you given it the proper time. 4 days into fermentation will very rarely taste the way you expect. Man, oh, man... moment of silence for a beer that never really was, and really could have been...
greenthumbed Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Dumped after 4 days, yikes.

Reaching FG is by no means a benchmark of the beer being done.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Nlindsay105
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825 View Post
I think you were way to hasty. Dumping a batch of beer is rarely the right choice. Especially 4 days into fermentation.

Should have let it age. You don't know how it would have tasted after being in the bottle a while. The beer tastes completely different after sitting for a while. The alcohol taste would probably have mellowed.
AGREED! Learned this with the last tripel my brew pal and I put out. At first taste, the alcohol was so overpowering we nearly spat it back out. We let it ferment in a secondary for a good amount of time, let it condition in the bottle and a few weeks later, vuala! Success! Excited to crack another one, or three...this week while on vacation. Patience, patience, patience.
Bottled:BPA

Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yikes! Never pour/dump a beer because it tastes bad after a few days. If that was the case my RIS would be long gone. That's like tossing $ down the toilet.
Good luck on the next one.