wiping laptop hard drive and starting fresh - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > wiping laptop hard drive and starting fresh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #21
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts


most of my storage is used to house an ever changing selection of tv shows and movies. We no longer have cable and with kids going to see a movie is nearly impossible to enjoy. so storage is a must. go newsgroups.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts


I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.
So what OS did you go back with?
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts


I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.
Sounds good. There are tons of distros for Linux so try them all on LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Also, if you need to run a windows program on a Linux comp it is easier to do through VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install Linux on your laptop.
Install VirtualBox in Linux.
Then install your Windows version inside of VirtualBox.
Then you can install the Windows based program in Windows VirtualBox.

It's like giving your comp a split personality.
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump