Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop additions
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 40

Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what are the honey and brown sugar for?

The US-05 yeast will not give you any British character - super clean yeast though.

Hmm... My $0.02 says:
- lose the honey and brown sugar, and up the DME to retain the OG of 1.060.
- Go wild with the hops, and add more after 20-minutes. Get the IBU's up to 60 or so with these late additions

Have a nice American IPA!
Yeah, honestly I am not even trying to go for an English style, it was just that on hopville, the recipe fit within the parameters of that style with regard to color/IBU etc... This is a hybrid beer no doubt about it.

I thought that the honey and brown sugar would add a bit more fermentables and was something I had on hand. I've read about Scottish ales/bitters using dark brown sugar too.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Honey and brown sugar will both add flavors. If you are looking for a honey and molasses flavor in the beer, keep them in. If they are just fermentables, leave them out and use more grain/DME.

I see a lot of people fall into to "kitchen sink" mentality with brewing, or get into a "hey, I just add this to change things up a bit" phase. Hell, I have too! I have since learned to brew solid beers in many categories over several years, then started changing things up; but only changing one thing at a time. I am still experimenting, but with small batches and controlled additives/yeasts/techniques. It's too easy to add things, end up going too far, and then have a beer that's not what you wanted or turns out to be a dumper.

Again, only my opinion.

"Small changes, Ellie." Carl Sagan.
Engineer, Animator, Brewer.