Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging / Carbonation Question

Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
ricksox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging / Carbonation Question

hey guys, I recently brewed an IPA and carbonated it with priming sugar directly inside my corny for about 2 weeks at around 74 degrees or so. I used the 3/4 cup priming sugar to 1 cup water simple syrup method to prime the beer.

I tapped the keg yesterday and got a lot of great foamy head and verified that the keg was holding pressure before I connected my CO2 tank to it.

However, despite the great foam, the carbonation didn't seem to really permeate through the beer so the body itself still seemed a little flat. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or suggestions as to what I maybe did wrong? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rick

Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

At 2 weeks, it's possible the CO2 had yet to saturate the beer fully.

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 07-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
ricksox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
At 2 weeks, it's possible the CO2 had yet to saturate the beer fully.
Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox

Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.
If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!

List of exBEERiments

Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
ricksox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!
Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox

Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best!
Amen! Your patience is something I envy

List of exBEERiments