Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Carbonating Bottled Diet Soda

Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Bonjourmate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonating Bottled Diet Soda

Was going to try making some diet soda this weekend (bit too much beer lately), but I can't think of an easy way to carbonate a bottled soda. Can't really use priming sugar, because there is no yeast for it to interact with and create co2.

Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
sakeyfour
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Buy a carbonator cap or build one using stainless steel tire stems in the soda cap. You can find directions by searching DIY carbonator caps. A couple of other options come up as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5938 Times on 4233 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

There are a couple of things you can do. One is to bottle carbonate with a co2 tank, if you have it available. That's my preference, because with a carbonator cap it's super easy to do. But if you don't have a c02 tank, then it has to be done an "old fashioned" way.

To make the diet soda (or any soda), all you have to do is add some yeast. I like champagne yeast for this- it's clean and neutral flavored. You can get it from any LHBS and it's like $.49 cents a package. you only need about 1/2 teaspoon. You will need some sugar so the yeast can eat that, but then you can use splenda/stevia/saccharine/ for the majority of the sweetening.

I make a really good ginger ale (recipe posted under my avatar, and in the recipe database under "soda") and you could do that with splenda instead of most of the sugar. I bet that would come out great.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
SnidelyWhiplash
Recipes 

how much sugar gives you appropriate carbonation in a 2 liter? i think ill make a few with artificial sweetener, flavor extract, and champagne yeast to get started.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
how much sugar gives you appropriate carbonation in a 2 liter? i think ill make a few with artificial sweetener, flavor extract, and champagne yeast to get started.
I'd like an answer to this as well. Can you use a priming calculator for beer and figure it out?

To modify the question... How much sugar would need to be added to 2 litres of water to reach proper carbonation level of soda?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Bonjourmate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust

I'd like an answer to this as well. Can you use a priming calculator for beer and figure it out?

To modify the question... How much sugar would need to be added to 2 litres of water to reach proper carbonation level of soda?
I followed the instructions for diet soda that was packaged with the extract and ended up with ALL gushers that tasted like garbage. I've gone back to just buying soda.