Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Surprise homebrew!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

Default Surprise homebrew!

So there I am, cleaning out my garage, going through boxes I had packed up from moving. I open up one of the boxes and what do I find? A bottle of home brew that I had absolutely no idea was there. I don't even know what's in it because it has no labeling at all. If I had to guess, though, I would say it's a double red from April. It's been sitting in the garage for probably two and a half months now with all the fluctuations in temperature we've been having. I'm going to crack it open here in a bit and hopefully it hasn't gone bad. But don't you just love those little surprises?

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
thepartsmancometh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Cool! Let us know how it turns out. I'm too lazy to label bottles (I label the case itself), so if I remove bottles from a case (ie: to make room for another batch) I wind up with a few mystery beers. Every few months I gather them all up and chill them; its a fun night of "guess which beer"

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
VinceF
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hope it's still good. I don't label either, but you can get small garage sale stickers from the dollar store. I put one on each bottlecap and one on the recipe so I know what's what. It beats removing labels.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-815495500.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	69086  

Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Turns out it's an RIS from March, so it's been aging for about 4 months now. The flavors have really melded together nicely and the fluctuating temps didn't have any adverse effect on it. I'm so happy I found this because I have another one, but I wanted to see if I could age it for a year before I drank it. This way, because I didn't know what was in it, I can't be blamed for cheating.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Jesus how quickly did you drink the RIS if that is one of the last bottles and it's four months old?

For a beer like that I wouldn't touch it until it's four months old, if not more

Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmybeer View Post
Jesus how quickly did you drink the RIS if that is one of the last bottles and it's four months old?

For a beer like that I wouldn't touch it until it's four months old, if not more
A couple things made it go so quickly:

1) It was three gallon batch
2) A lot of it was given away
3) Up until recently I haven't been the aging type, but now I'm starting a collection of beers I'm aging

Between the fact that brewing a beer worth aging is atypical of me and the fact that until recently I haven't really appreciated the value of aging, you can see where I went wrong, but I'm trying to fix myself now.

Inhopsicated on Twitter