Bucket question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bucket question

Old 07-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
May 2007
Central Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am moving on to my second batch today, and have a quick sanitizing question. In my first kit i got a bucket of the LME that I saved, I believe its about half gallon size. Can I use that as my sanitizing bucket? Fill it up with starsan, or will the flavor be absorbed by the starsan and transfer to the equipment for this batch? I dont want an IPA flavored hefe.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts

As long as you thoroughly clean it out it will be fine for use as a sanitizer bucket.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Mar 2006
Salem, OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Only downside to using that as a sanitizer bucket is it's size. Might be a bit small, but hey, it's not the size that matters!!! HAHAHAH!!!! I crack myslef up!!! No, seriously though, I know that every time I get to sanitizing stuff I get out my big bucket and do up at least 2 gallons. Then I can rest my spoon in it, or my racking cane in it and it won't fall over(have yet to get a paint tray for my racking cane... damn memory, can NEVER remember that when i go to the hardware store!) But that's just me. If you can restrain yourself to just under a half gallon of sanitizer that would be awesome!!! Won't have to buy as sanitizer much as me!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)