Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter for RIS, using harvested yeast?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Starter for RIS, using harvested yeast?

I'm hoping to make my first Russian Imperial Stout (this: in the next week or so. The recipe calls for WLP002, so I recently made a pale with it as basically a 5 gallon starter. When I kegged it I swirled the yeast/trub/beer around and poured it all into a sanitized growler and stuck it in the fridge.

Two questions:

1. According to Beersmith 2, a 20 qt (5 gal) "starter" would yield 574 billion cells, 200 billion more than I need. Do you think I should still do a starter to wake the little guys up? If so, what size?

2. I dry hopped the pale ale in the primary with 1 oz. of Cascade pellets. I cold crashed before kegging, so that oz. of hops is mixed in with the yeast in the growler. I've washed yeast a number of times, but never after dry hopping. I'm assuming that I can just follow the standard washing procedures (add water, stir it up, wait 30 min, decant, repeat) to get down to good yeast. Is this correct? I normally wouldn't even worry about the spent hops, but considering that I'll be aging this beer for a good 5-6 months, I'm concerned that having that much vegetative matter in there for that long wouldn't be a good idea.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

Yeah, the normal washing procedure should work just fine. Also, I don't think you need a starter. Just let them warm up while you brew, pitch when ready, and you should be good.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter