A419 Sensor Feed Placement in Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zennoshinjou

Reaction score
How does everyone run their sensor feed into the main cavity of the freezer? I'm running mine behind and through the door on top but I'm worried about wear and tear on the sensor wire.

Thanks in advance!

Right now I have the wire just sandwiched between the chest freezer and the seal on the lid. The wire is fine enough that it doesn't leave an air gap. This is for my fermentation chamber. On my planned keezer the wires will go through the collar and be fixed to the inside to eliminate motion.

When I get a chance I will drill a small hole in the fermentation freezer lid at the back and run the wire through it to the inside, making another small hole in the plastic liner of the lid. The movement of the lid shouldn't place any strain or wear on the wire, as long as there are no sharp edges or burrs to wear the insulation. I will do the same for wiring for a fan and heating element.

I ran all of the feeds into my keezer through the rear edge of the lid. I made the holes large enough to fit grommets to protect the CO2 line, the thermometer probe wire, and the 12V feed to the tower cooler and stir fans.
ab_jun_24_2011_12_sm.jpg

Cheers!

How does everyone run their sensor feed into the main cavity of the freezer? I'm running mine behind and through the door on top but I'm worried about wear and tear on the sensor wire.

Thanks in advance!

I keep saying that I am going to build a little tube filled with water and a thermowell mounted and hanging from the collar with wiring all nice.....Hasn't happened.

What has happened is I drilled a hole just big enough for wire and ran it through the collar and the probe just hangs in the middle, I juut make sure that it doesn't hit a wall. I was banding it to a keg for a while with a strap and some insulation, but been even lazier lately.

I have mine sandwiched between the lid and the seal. No problems so far. As for the location, I have a few cheap plastic alligator clips and I clip the wore above the probe to whatever is around, like a beer bottle or a small bucket or cup and lease it open to the air in the freezer. (As opposed to a thermowell). I have found that keeping the probe lower helps keep the temp more constant and accurate than having the probe higher, as the bottom of the freezer seems to get colder quicker than the top. When the probe was higher, the freezer would overshoot the target on the cold side.

Back