Coleman 52 quart Xtreme Cooler sale - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Coleman 52 quart Xtreme Cooler sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Kirch3333
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Davie, FL
Posts: 107
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts



Hey just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The Coleman 52 quart Xtreme cooler is on sale on kmart.com. Regularly $55.99 on sale for $34.99 and you get another 10% off (automatically deducted in the cart) bringing it to $31.49. Not sure if this is an in-store deal but you can order online and pickup in store for free. Thought this was a great deal for anyone who was looking to build a mash tun like me!

http://www.kmart.com/coleman-52-quar...1&blockType=G1

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
mjap52
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Amherst, New York
Posts: 182
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Fyi, your link doesn't work
__________________
Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
mjap52
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Amherst, New York
Posts: 182
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Also, I'd suggest the 70 quart from Walmart. It's $40 and you can do 7%+ gravity batches.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70...Cooler/4807332
__________________
Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


Is there a rough guideline somewhere for folks getting into AG brewing for mash tuns vs. lbs of grain? The reason I ask is I have the 52qt cooler already, but from the comment above, it sounds like I would need a 120qt cooler for huge a RIS or barleywine.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
, Southwest Iowa
Posts: 648
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
Is there a rough guideline somewhere for folks getting into AG brewing for mash tuns vs. lbs of grain? The reason I ask is I have the 52qt cooler already, but from the comment above, it sounds like I would need a 120qt cooler for huge a RIS or barleywine.
I can't find the table I was looking for. The third calculator on this page addresses the issue from the other direction. If you look at a sample recipe grain bill, you should have your answer here:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
, Southwest Iowa
Posts: 648
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts


Here it is: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-...-needs-123585/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
Kirch3333
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Davie, FL
Posts: 107
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Sorry about that. The link should work now. The 70qt is a good deal too. I have no plans to make big beers but who knows. Would anyone happen to know there would be any problems if your mash tun is too big? I think I'd go with the bigger one if there aren't any issues with efficiency just in case i do decide to go big. Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
heckels
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 816
Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch3333
Sorry about that. The link should work now. The 70qt is a good deal too. I have no plans to make big beers but who knows. Would anyone happen to know there would be any problems if your mash tun is too big? I think I'd go with the bigger one if there aren't any issues with efficiency just in case i do decide to go big. Thanks
Depending on the size and dimensions of the cooler you can get to a point where you don't get enough depth to truly set the grain bed in a way that creates a good filter. That same situation can cause issues with efficiency because of a lack of proper rinsing.

Doing a 5 lb grain bill in a 10 gallon round igloo or rubbermaid lends itself to this problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Aspenextreme
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Atlana, GA
Posts: 102
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


I have the same cooler when KMART was having the sale a couple of months ago when it was $25.99. I do 10 gallon batches and it holds temps wonderfully and will have it for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch3333 View Post
Hey just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The Coleman 52 quart Xtreme cooler is on sale on kmart.com. Regularly $55.99 on sale for $34.99 and you get another 10% off (automatically deducted in the cart) bringing it to $31.49. Not sure if this is an in-store deal but you can order online and pickup in store for free. Thought this was a great deal for anyone who was looking to build a mash tun like me!

http://www.kmart.com/coleman-52-quar...1&blockType=G1

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Kirch3333
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Davie, FL
Posts: 107
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenextreme View Post
I have the same cooler when KMART was having the sale a couple of months ago when it was $25.99. I do 10 gallon batches and it holds temps wonderfully and will have it for a long time.
Thanks... Would you happen to have rough interior dimensions?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coleman Xtreme 75qt cube cooler - question riored4v Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 05-08-2012 03:50 PM
New Style Coleman Xtreme 5?? hops2it Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 0 06-09-2011 08:47 PM
70-Quart Coleman Xtreme Marine Manifold Mischief_Brewing Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 8 04-20-2011 03:53 PM
BF Cooler Fitting for Coleman Xtreme 70 qt Gremlyn Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 7 01-18-2011 11:11 PM
Coleman Xtreme too much? quixand Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 20 10-14-2009 09:02 PM


Forum Jump