Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help handling large volumes of liquid malt extract

Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
hepcat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

What's wrong with the container it came in.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Mongzilla
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Okay so far I have a couple of ideas.

I found a place I can buy 1 L HDPE Containers, sterilise them and store the malt syrup in that way.

I have also found a website which sells foodgrade handpumps for high viscosity liquids. My idea is to attach the pump and use only what I need for a brew, leaving the pump in during storage.

As long as I can keep the pump sterile and clean would this be okay, I'm going to e-mail the company and see if I can dismantle the pump without removing the piping system and screw, from the container.

Either way I'm going to get into bulk buying of liquid malty extract, as I'm going to need to get the equipment to store this batch, and it's over half the price of buying smaller quantities.

Again thanks for your help.

You can buy them at just about any grocery store or convenience store, and the come pre-filled with beer! (major selling point for me).

Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Mongzilla
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I thought I would post an update to this thread, to help people who are thinking about buying malt extract in bulk.

To store my malt extract I purchased six 2.5 L, foodgrade plastic containers. This brought the cost of my malt extract up to around the same value as if I had bought it in 1.5 kg tins, but now I can buy malt extract in 25 Kg containers and get my money back that way.

Filling the containers is not as difficult as I thought. I poured the malt extract and a friend of mine held containers and used a knife to cut the DMS when the container is full. It took about an hour to fill all the containers and the job wasn't particularly messy. Each container holds about enough DMS to produce two extract brews, which is a good trade-off between storage space needed and the malt extract needed for brewing.

I then put the new DMS containers in a chest freezer to store, which also helps handling the malt extract. When I've browed earlier this week I forgot to take malt extract out of the freezer to soften it up, so I put put it in a sink of hot water which soften the edges. When came to weighing out the extra the soften edges allow me to pull the semi-frozen cora out and cut it cleanly with a pair of scissors and very little mess.

The other major advantage is the large container the malt extract came in is foodgrade and can have its cap drilled, a rubber washer fitted, and either a blowoff tubing or airlock attached, so you end up with a free fermenter.

I hope you find this information helpful, and if you have any more questions please send me a message.
You can buy them at just about any grocery store or convenience store, and the come pre-filled with beer! (major selling point for me).

Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Why couldn't you have used DME? I know you have done it now but kilo sip lock bags of DME in the freezer just seem so much easier.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab1788 View Post
Why couldn't you have used DME? I know you have done it now but kilo sip lock bags of DME in the freezer just seem so much easier.
Bah, too hard. When brew day comes, you have to convert kilos to pounds.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..