Experimental Beer Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Great graham cracker flavor and an ever day kinda beer
All Grain
  • 9lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
  • 8 Ounces Crystal Malt 80
  • 4 Ounces of Chocolate Malt
  • 2 box's of Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers (14.4oz each)
  • 1lb Rice Hulls
  • ----Mash 156 for 45 Minutes
  • -----Mash Out 168 for 10 minutes
  • Bring Wort to Boil
  • 1lb Brown Sugar
  • 5 Ounces of Bakers Chocolate (Unsweetened)
  • 0.75 Ounces of Goldings, East Kent (5.0%) 60 Minutes
  • 0.75 Ounces of Fuggles (4.5%) 60 minutes
  • 0.25 Ounces of Goldings, East Kent (5.0%) for 7 Minutes
  • 0.25 Ounces of Fuggles (4.5%) for 7 Minutes
  • -----Pitch Safale S-04 Yeast
  • Ferment for 1 week
  • Add 2 vanilla beans to primary

Fermentation should be as follows, 1 week in primary, add vanilla beans to primary during week two, rack to a secondary during week three...after three weeks keg or bottle.

This recipe is a revision of my original recipe, I have been working on modifications for the past year and believe this is a great final product!

cracker.jpg

Note...Graham Crackers were invented to curb masturbation and thats why I have the label I do....I also know the ABV is well above 10%, I just never modified my template when I created this label.

First off, that label is excellent!
Secondly, have you done this before or just experimenting? First thoughts are that that is a ton of graham crackers but what do I know, I've never mashed them before. Next thing that comes to mind are the hops. I don't know what exactly you are shooting for but 37 IBUs for a beer that big seems way to low to me. Third thing, I've used vanilla beans once and they are super potent so I'd put them in the secondary and take periodic tastings rather than just pick a set time before taking them out.

Edit: I see you've been working on this for the last year now so maybe I'm wrong in my observations if this is a more refined product that you've tested a few times.

Might be a dumb question, but when do you add the brown sugar and bakers chocolate? Secondary? End of boil?

First off, that label is excellent!
Secondly, have you done this before or just experimenting? First thoughts are that that is a ton of graham crackers but what do I know, I've never mashed them before. Next thing that comes to mind are the hops. I don't know what exactly you are shooting for but 37 IBUs for a beer that big seems way to low to me. Third thing, I've used vanilla beans once and they are super potent so I'd put them in the secondary and take periodic tastings rather than just pick a set time before taking them out.

I have brewed this beer and versions of it 30+ times at this point, my original recipe was good but a little on the weaker side of things when it came to the prominence of the graham crackers so I spent a good 6 months coming up with an improved recipe.
The hops are low and feel free to increase the quantities in the recipe to suit your needs, however for me the hops almost interfered with the rest of the ingredients, so thats why in this version the hops have been reduced.
As for the Vanilla bean, they are very potent and should only have a small role in the flavor profile so thats why I only use them for a week.

Might be a dumb question, but when do you add the brown sugar and bakers chocolate? Secondary? End of boil?
Brown Sugar and Bakers Chocolate are added at the beginning of the boil...make sure your Bakers Chocolate is unsweetened or you will get a horrible off flavor.

Thanks for getting this back up. Had to wing it today at LHBS. Got a wlp022 Essex ale yeast that I found in another recipe like this. Guess it won't be the same but looking forward to get this one going this weekend. Did you soak your vanilla beans in vodka for any amount of time? Also what was your water amount for mash and sparge? One more thing do you melt that baker chocolate before you add to boil?

Thanks for getting this back up. Had to wing it today at LHBS. Got a wlp022 Essex ale yeast that I found in another recipe like this. Guess it won't be the same but looking forward to get this one going this weekend. Did you soak your vanilla beans in vodka for any amount of time? Also what was your water amount for mash and sparge? One more thing do you melt that baker chocolate before you add to boil?

Essex Ale is a great yeast, so you wont be disappointed...as for the vanilla beans, slice them down the middle and submerse in vodka at the same time you brew beer, add to wort 1 week later (vodka and all).....as for the bakers chocolate, I get the powdered form, however bar or powder it all goes in to boiling water so no need to melt it prior.

SD-SLIM said:
Essex Ale is a great yeast, so you wont be disappointed...as for the vanilla beans, slice them down the middle and submerse in vodka at the same time you brew beer, add to wort 1 week later (vodka and all).....as for the bakers chocolate, I get the powdered form, however bar or powder it all goes in to boiling water so no need to melt it prior.

Funny never thought of powder bakers always see the blocks of that stuff. What where your water amounts for mash and sparge?

Funny never thought of powder bakers always see the blocks of that stuff. What where your water amounts for mash and sparge?

That would vary based on your equipment and past results you have received with your equipment....in general a generic estimation is between 1.5 to 2 quarts per pound of grain, however other calculations such as how much liquid burns off during your boil, how much liquid is left in your false bottom, etc...

Did this up yesterday. mash temp was a little low 152 so turned out 1.062. Got it down to 68 and pitched yeast. Was bubbling very good this morning.

image-1059262485.jpg

Week one vanilla addition. Smell is awesome. No time for gravity reading. Check back next week.

Racked this to secondary today. Taste is great!! This is going to be awesome when I can get this kegged.

image-818569478.jpg

image-2205655997.jpg

sparky701 said:
Racked this to secondary today. Taste is great!! This is going to be awesome when I can get this kegged.

I am glad to hear you liked it, it makes for an interesting beer that you drink daily!

Keg day and sample was everything I was hoping for. Kinda wanted a little more graham cracker flavor to come thru maybe try a little more next time. This was my first time using wirlfloc damn this stuff came out clear. I put my spary bottle behind sample could see price tag. Looking forward to drinking this once it's carbed up.

image-2996747546.jpg

image-255705491.jpg

Keg day and sample was everything I was hoping for. Kinda wanted a little more graham cracker flavor to come thru maybe try a little more next time. This was my first time using wirlfloc damn this stuff came out clear. I put my spary bottle behind sample could see price tag. Looking forward to drinking this once it's carbed up.

Thats good looking beer!

Well here it is after week on the gas. The crackers really come thru now. Great finish on this beer. Thanks for this one.

image-798351944.jpg

sparky701 said:
Well here it is after week on the gas. The crackers really come thru now. Great finish on this beer. Thanks for this one.

Good looking beer, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Was looking for something for the holidays and I think this might be what I'm looking for. Ordering ingredients tonight thanks! Oh also is this with light or dark brown sugar?

Thanks
Mike

Woodybass said:
Was looking for something for the holidays and I think this might be what I'm looking for. Ordering ingredients tonight thanks! Oh also is this with light or dark brown sugar?

Thanks
Mike

Either will work just the same, I always use light because I use it in other things. Happy brewing!

Was thinking of giving this recipe a try one question..Are the numbers correct? Beersmith estimates it at 1.062 (without the crackers)@%72. Will the crackers bring the SG up that much?

Sounds pretty durn interesting. A lot going on with ingredients. Might be a silly question but what are the flavor highlights? Hell of a label by the by.

One more picture for you slim. This is 3/4 of graham cracker ale and 1/4 of my chocolate porter. It is a perfect match.

image-189757463.jpg

sparky701 said:
One more picture for you slim. This is 3/4 of graham cracker ale and 1/4 of my chocolate porter. It is a perfect match.

That looks damn good, I will have to give that a try!

billmo said:
Was thinking of giving this recipe a try one question..Are the numbers correct? Beersmith estimates it at 1.062 (without the crackers)@%72. Will the crackers bring the SG up that much?

I'm traveling and don't have my computer with my notes in it, but from memory I don't remember the graham crackers increasing it that much...none the less, if you follow the recipe your gonna make beer!

Have this in primary right now. I used white labs 002 in mine my og came in allot lower than expected at 1056... But the post bill sample tasted awesome.

Woodybass said:
Have this in primary right now. I used white labs 002 in mine my og came in allot lower than expected at 1056... But the post bill sample tasted awesome.

Let me know how it turns out and post pictures!

I varied off this recipe last night. Followed basic recipe parameters but the following changes:

10lbs Maris
Didn't have 80 crystal so I used some 40L
Added 1/2 lb rye and oats
Forgot to put chocolate in mash
Added 5 pieces of candied ginger at 5 minutes left in boil
And added 1oz Saaz at 5 min too
Added 1lb honey at flameout

Hydro reading tasted great and came in at 1.074 can't wait but will let it settle for about 8 weeks.

Got this kegged and carbed up over the weekend. I have to say it's probably one of the best beers I've made so far. It finished nice and crisp with the WL004. Has a really silky mouth feel to it also, very pleased all the way around with it!

Back