Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Forks over Knives documentary on disease

Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #41
cheezydemon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lol. I have no use for inedible plants. If you have winter, an edible lawn would be a mud pit in winter.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #42
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My 46 year-old body does not take well to fast food anymore. I quit eating it years ago, but if I have a Mc-something it totally shuts down my system. "Supersize Me" made my kids think better of food. It shut them off to most fats food immediately, and they were young at the time.

I have always hunted and we grow what we can. I can usually get 60-70% of our meat without shopping, and my family will take deer or elk steak over any other meats. I always feel better mentally and physically with self-harvested food.

I cannot, however, give up meat...

Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #43
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
My 46 year-old body does not take well to fast food anymore. I quit eating it years ago, but if I have a Mc-something it totally shuts down my system. "Supersize Me" made my kids think better of food. It shut them off to most fats food immediately, and they were young at the time.

I have always hunted and we grow what we can. I can usually get 60-70% of our meat without shopping, and my family will take deer or elk steak over any other meats. I always feel better mentally and physically with self-harvested food.

I cannot, however, give up meat...
I know it's a typo, but this is just so fitting.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

I can't give up meat, but I am changing my diet.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #45
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok. I do not exercise intentionally...EVER. However I do engage in one of the most physically demanding sports one can play.

The wife and I have had a lifestyle change and this is the 1st year my food allergy has worsened.(not related) In our home there is no to little sugary snacks few tomato, potato, peppers of any kind or eggplant.(This would include products that had trace amounts of these items like BBQ sauce.) We drink diet sodas (a big health no-no but read on.) and eat 3-30 carb meals and have 2-15 carb snacks a day. This diet targets a meat portion that is about the size of a deck of playing cards and 1/2 a plate of vegetables. The meat also is targeted to be seafood x2 a week. The only thing we do not count is beer/wine intake but we are binge drinkers.

That is our diet in a nut shell. The wife is down 32 lbs and I am down 3 pant sizes since starting this. It is a slow process but it was not like we woke up fat one morning after being at a healthy weight. It took time to get that way and we realize that it will take time to reverse.

Now to get back to the meat. Do ANY of you know what is done to an animal that starts to look sickly and is to be sold to the butcher? They force feed it a large amount of vegetables to "fatten it up". Logic would stand the same thing will happen to a human.

I am going to eat meat until I die, the same is true for beer. I will die with a smile on my face knowing that I ate and drank what I wanted and was in decent health. I just converted my smoker to electric and now I can make charcoal while I am smoking meat. I am also a hunter and prefer "free range" meats whenever possible. I am eating a hunks of "smokey tender steak bites" as I am typing this, they are DELICIOUS! I smoked the lean, thick cut angus roasts and smoked them for 6 hours in my e-smoker. They have no seasoning other than the hickory smoke.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #46
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

I'm fairly cautious about my diet. I avoid processed foods as much as possible and rarely eat out so I can control what goes into my food. I typically prepare all of my lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday because it's more time efficient and I never have a reason to grab fast food or something processed. I eat a lot of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, a low amount of starchy carbs and quite a bit of meat. I probably need to consume less protein because I'm not working out enough to need it. The problem with most store-bought meat is one way or another it ends up with some preservatives in it. Seafood is hit or miss but usually the safer route, especially if you are getting it fresh from the meat counter rather than frozen. I try to grow a few vegetables but I am a terrible gardner and generally hate yard work so I don't get much out of it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #47
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
I'm fairly cautious about my diet. I avoid processed foods as much as possible and rarely eat out so I can control what goes into my food. I typically prepare all of my lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday because it's more time efficient and I never have a reason to grab fast food or something processed. I eat a lot of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, a low amount of starchy carbs and quite a bit of meat. I probably need to consume less protein because I'm not working out enough to need it. The problem with most store-bought meat is one way or another it ends up with some preservatives in it. Seafood is hit or miss but usually the safer route, especially if you are getting it fresh from the meat counter rather than frozen. I try to grow a few vegetables but I am a terrible gardner and generally hate yard work so I don't get much out of it.
Sometimes the "fresh" seafood at the meat counter is merely the thawed stuff from the frozen case. The iqf fish filets are pretty good since they are typically filet and frozen on the same day they are caught.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #48
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Frozen anything is better most times.

If you equate gardening to "yard work" then yes, give up. You don't have it in you.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #49
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I couldn't care if fish is frozen or not. The meat department at my local grocery store flash freezes if it every is frozen, which doesn't cause ice crystals that ruin the integrity of the meat.

What's important is wild caught vs farmed. Farmed fish have a higher chance of disease and parasites, they feed them only one kind of food so you miss out on the flavor and color you get from the wild food sources the fish would have eaten, plus they are constantly swimming in tight quarters so more contact with feces and dead fish. I don't think we've bought farmed fish for a couple of years now.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #50
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3
If you equate gardening to "yard work" then yes, give up. You don't have it in you.
This. I love going out to work-on/check-on my garden!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!